So excited!!...and a couple of questions about Kaiser NorCal

LosingLola
on 8/8/14 9:04 am

Just had to share.  I completed my sleep study recently and was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea.  No big surprise there, as I wake up feeling hungover every day even though I don't drink...regularly, anyway.  

On to the exciting part - yesterday morning, I attended the Intro to WLS class at Kaiser.  I had purposefully scheduled an appointment with my PCP after the class was over as I knew I wanted to seek a referral to bariatrics.  Thankfully, she didn't give me any heartache about the referral and sent it over during the appointment.  I called the Fremont bariatrics dept. this morning and was scheduled for the orientation class next Thursday.  I was expecting to at least have to wait a few weeks so I am stoked!!  

Questions for those who have been through Kaiser Fremont - the instructor in the intro class had said that the standard pre-surgery weight loss the surgeons will want is 10% of the excess weight.  Is that consistent with what you were expected to lose?  Should I wait to start losing that until the orientation or will they use the weigh-in from my appointment with my PCP?  My BMI is around 41 and I don't want to affect my chance of getting the surgery by dropping under 40.  I know I can lose the 10% of excess, but history shows that I would gain it back + more if I don't get some WLS help.

Thanks in advance!

VSG 3/8/16, HW 258.8, SW 236.5, CW 225.6

jenorama
on 8/8/14 3:41 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Yay for you for taking action!  :D  It's a long road and I am really glad I finally went through with it.  I did not go through Kaiser, so I can't speak to their program.  My surgeon also asked that I lose weight, but he just asked for I think 15 lbs.  I think for him, it was more to establish that I can follow an eating plan and lose weight and possibly also to lose some of the internal fat that crowds around the organs and to shrink the liver a little bit to make surgery easier.  

I know that the 40 BMI is kind of the magic threshold for insurance purposes.  I am not confident enough to say that you will be fine if you drop a few pounds between now and when you have your surgical consult.  Since your PCP put in the bariatric referral, you MAY be all right, but if it were me, I would wait until I had my starting weight/BMI established with the surgeon's office.  From what I understand about Kaiser, you have to attend several classes and you may not actually be undergoing surgery for several months yet.  I started the process in January of 2013 and didn't have surgery until October.

It sounds terrible, but your diagnosis of sleep apnea is actually kind of a plus as it's considered a co-morbidity and if your BMI does drop a wee bit underneath 40, you have that diagnosis to fall back on.  

I'm local to the south bay, so feel free to add me as a friend.  :D  Good luck to you!

Jen

LosingLola
on 8/9/14 8:06 am

Thanks Jen!  That's kinda what I'm thinking, too.  I am eager to get started but would be devastated if something I did prevented this from going through.

Valerie G.
on 8/9/14 12:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I wasn't required to do a diet at all.  IMO, it's cruel and unusual punishment.  Most of us have been there and done that already

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

LosingLola
on 8/9/14 8:08 am

Yeah, no kidding!  I have been on that diet roller coaster enough already...

Most Active