Newbie looking for advice and help!

MandyLeigh
on 8/20/14 2:38 pm

I'm currently completing my paperwork for gastric bypass to submit for my initial evaluation and I have my psychological evaluation next week. I am doing my best to research everything as much as I possibly can but would love some opinions from people who have been through this first hand!

So here are my questions :

1. How long after surgery did you feel functional again? What about returning to work or going to the gym?

2. What were some of the worst side effects you had after surgery? What about long term?

3. Has anyone had issues with becoming pregnant or having a healthy pregnancy due to not absorbing nutrients or any other reason?

4. Are you given a new daily calorie, protein, carb goal to stay around after surgery? A site I found said you will be around 1000-1300 for life? Every patient will probably be different right?

5. If you are an emotional eater, how did you adjust after surgery?

6. Any advice for the psychological evaluation?

7. I've read that you will need to make surgeon appointments for the rest of your life - how often? Yearly checkups?

8. What kind of vitamins do you take daily and how much would you say you spend monthly on them?

9. How much did you lose in the first 6 months?

10. Any advice for someone starting on this journey?

Thank you in advance! And please feel free to answer as many questions as you would like! I would love as many friends on here as possible!

Much Love!

-Mandy Leigh :)

Eggface
on 8/21/14 12:17 am, edited 8/21/14 12:19 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I'm excited for you as you begin this. Read everything but know that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. 

1. How long after surgery did you feel functional again? What about returning to work or going to the gym? About 7 weeks till I felt new "normal." You are walking day 1 and increasing that each day usually your surgeon will clear you for more within a few weeks. I could have returned to work in 2 weeks but depends on what type of job (sit down versus heavy lifting, etc.)

2. What were some of the worst side effects you had after surgery? What about long term? I had open RNY (8 years ago) so they don't pump you up with gas but generally most people will complain of gas pain (walking helps and Dr will advise OTC med if needed) I had no post-op complications. I did have a kidney stone about 3 weeks out (ouch) because I was dehydrated a bit (I was a pre-op sufferer) so sip tha****er... dehydration is one of the major reasons for readmittance.

3. Has anyone had issues with becoming pregnant or having a healthy pregnancy due to not absorbing nutrients or any other reason? OH has a Post Op Pregnancy Board (check Forums above) and I personally know a ton of women that have had babies post-op... many specifically had WLS to get pregnant. Chat with your Dr about timing but most say wait a year.

4. Are you given a new daily calorie, protein, carb goal to stay around after surgery? A site I found said you will be around 1000-1300 for life? Every patient will probably be different right? Every one will be different, based on lifestyle, BMI/BMR, needs and this will change as you lose. Dr's will phase you into into the process takes about 8 weeks-ish clear liquids>liquids>pureed>soft>some solids>most solids. Each practice has differences. My sis couldn't have raw veggies till 4 months I could have them at 8 weeks stuff like that. 

5. If you are an emotional eater, how did you adjust after surgery? I am an emotional NON eater... I stop eating when I am upset. I highly recommend seeking out a therapist and starting to work on the head stuff its the most important part of weight loss surgery IMHO.

6. Any advice for the psychological evaluation? Tell the truth.

7. I've read that you will need to make surgeon appointments for the rest of your life - how often? Yearly checkups? The first few months you will have more frequent follow-ups and lab work but generally after a year it will be labs and follow-up once a year. I recommend you attend a support group meeting once a month (IRL or online, something)... keeping your head in the game is another big one.

8. What kind of vitamins do you take daily and how much would you say you spend monthly on them? A bunch... but they are still way cheaper than co-pays for all my comorbidities (and treatments and prescriptions) that are now resolved post WLS. Multis, B12, Calcium, Iron, and a few others for good measure. 

9. How much did you lose in the first 6 months? Check out OH estimator (drop down screen above, postop planner) l it's pretty close for most people but everyone is different. I was 80 pounds down in 8 months and eventually went on to lose 158 pounds.

10. Any advice for someone starting on this journey? http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/04/for-p re-ops.html Remember that WLS is a do better (make lifestyle changes you can live with forever), not a do-over (repeat the same mistakes = same result) ~Michelle "Shelly"

Best wishes!

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

hollykim
on 8/21/14 2:31 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

#10 read every post on this board and others that pertain to your surgery type/interests. These questions are answered multiple times and you will get a wealth of different answers that you might not get only on this thread. 

GL and welcome!

Most Active