Dizziness??

DelilahJO
on 8/21/14 3:03 am

So I am 3 mo post op from my sleeve. I am getting very dizzy upon standing, to the point I'm surprised i haven't actually passed out yet. Is this common?

Tracy D.
on 8/21/14 3:09 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I don't know if it's common but it certainly isn't unheard of and there are several reasons for it.  

One, you could be dehydrated but at 3 months post-op I'm assuming that you are getting at least 64-80 oz. of water a day.  

Two, you could be having some low blood pressure episodes.  If you're still on B/P meds you'll want to talk to your doctor ASAP about this because he may need to cut your dose.  

Three, I was told that as a fat person the blood volume in my body increased and the veins and vessels stretched out to accommodate the higher volume.  Now that I'm smaller, the blood volume has dropped but the veins and vessels are still stretched out and kind of saggy.  So when I'm sitting the blood tends to pool in the lower extremities and getting up makes me dizzy.  What helps?  Tightening up and relaxing my legs a few times before standing or doing a few bicycling motions with my legs to get the blood moving.  

Now that I'm further out and exercising more, these episodes don't happen as often.  But they still happen, especially if I get up too fast.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Valerie G.
on 8/21/14 6:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Possible cause may be dehydration - are you drinking enough? 

Another contributor to low BP is low sodium.  You may see a difference just adding more salt.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cathy W.
on 8/22/14 12:45 am

I had the same thing.  It was from the rapid weight loss and changing in my blood volume. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/22/14 3:56 am - OH

An additional thing that can cause dizziness is lack of carbs.  I honestly don't understand why, but when I wS 3-months post-op from my RNY and my BP, BS, and hydration were all fine, my surgeon told me to increase my carbs just a bit. I was eating almost no carbs (just  an ounce of cheese and Greek yogurt daily and an occasional small portion of refried beans). After just a few days, the dizziness subsided, never to return.  Many others have found this as well.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

DelilahJO
on 8/24/14 4:58 am

Thank you all. I'm trying to workout in the evenings so that I have had plenty of fluids all day as opposed to after breakfast, i also don't get a lot of carbs by the time i eat my proteins I'm about full so I will work on that. Perhaps some power aide zero will help too

Most Active