What to expect?!

MandyLeigh
on 9/4/14 12:36 pm

Just found out that I got my psychological clearance! I am SO relieved and excited! Also got a letter in the mail from the therapist suggesting that I find ways to deal with my anxiety before and after surgery. The best way for me to deal with anxiety is exercise and that's exactly why I want this surgery - so I can get back to my favorite anxiety reducer! I also got a call from OSU scheduling my first appointment with the bariatric department! I go on September 18th for my medical and nutritional evaluation! I am SO excited and nervous to see what they say!   I have no idea what to expect at this appointment or what they will tell me. Anyone who has been through this step, what happens during these appointments? The anticipation is killing me!

-Mandy Leigh :)

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 9/4/14 10:16 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

That is tough to answer as every program does it different. In mine I had to sit through a three hour nutrition seminar. Then a month later I came in and they weighed me and I saw a few different people and even an insurance person so that we are all on the same page. I didn't actually see my surgeon until I went through all the hoops and they decided they were going to send me for approval. So I am not sure how your appointment will work. It may just be a matter of meeting the medical team and telling them about yourselves and what surgery you are interested in.

kayleystar
on 9/4/14 11:10 pm
RNY on 01/06/15

First off, congrats on getting psych clearance! 

I actually just had my pre-op/nutritional class this past Tuesday. The first 2 hours of the class was devoted to nutrition entirely. What you'll be able to eat and not eat at different stages post-op, the pre-op diet (and how long you need to be on it before surgery), information regarding protein, etc. The next hour was a "what to expect in the hospital" class taught by two Bariatric nurses.

My medical evaluation/clearance was back on August 8th, and included 6 HOURS of testing, including a complete blood test/work up, nicotine test, lung function testing, an EKG, several ultrasounds, a chest x-ray, and (not sure what it's called) a thing where they had to take scans of my insides to see my liver, stomach, etc. After all the testing, I saw a doctor and she went over all my test results and cleared me for surgery. 

Your experience may be completely different, however, since all programs are different. What hospital/city are you going through? I live in Northern Indiana, however my program is through St. Vincent's Bariatric program in the Indianapolis area.

Highest Weight: 412 | Day of Surgery: 385 | Current: 341
Surgery Date: 1/6/2015 

carpurrson
on 9/13/14 3:10 am

Hi. I am also "in the pipeline" so to  speak for bariatric surgery. My surgical team's protocol takes at least 6 months and includes 6 dietitian appointments, a lot of blood work, a colonoscopy, EGD and upper gi, and a psychological eval. I have completed all except the final 3 dietitian visits. At first I was frustrated to have to wait so long, but now I think it's actually a good idea to give you a period of time to consider this life-changing surgery without making decisions too quickly or without enough information.  As already pointed out, there is a wide variety of ways required to prepare for surgery, depending on the surgeon's protocol as well as your insurance coverage. Try to be patient. You may feel overwhelmed by a lot of info at the first appointment, so give yourself plenty of time to take it all in. There is a lot to learn! 

Most Active