Reward Day

Amy K.
on 9/4/14 2:18 am - Tucson, AZ

Many diet books and shows talk about a Reward Day.  When I did the 24-hour body diet we were given one day to eat and drink whatever we wanted and the reason was explained as being a way to reset metabolism.  I haven't done the reward day since starting this process and once when I did decide to splurge and get a cheeseburger from Carls Jr, before my surgery, I took 3 bites and decided it wasnt worth it. 

I don't see my surgeon until the end of the month, but am wondering if a reward day is appropriate.  I realize that I wont be able to eat all the sugary starchy foods, so is it something that is even recommended or useful.  Thanks in advance. 

High Weight: 264, BMI 46.8, Surgery Date: July 1, 2014, weight 227, BMI 40.2

Cathy W.
on 9/4/14 3:41 am

As you state in your post, diet books and shows talk about a Reward Day.  Reward days and other aspects are for diets.  Having weight loss surgery is a process of creating a healthy lifestyle.  One day where you get to "eat and drink whatever we wanted" is nothing more than a diet.  

When having WLS, diets aren't the answer - living the lifestyle and exchanging bad habits for healthy ones are the answer to WLS success and weight loss maintenance.  Ditch the diet mentality which is difficult but important to do.

Tracy D.
on 9/4/14 4:06 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Here's my advice:  throw the diet book and the idea of a "reward day" in the garbage.  

If you're not dieting you don't need a reward day, got it?  You're following a new eating plan to complement an entirely new lifestyle.  Learn to love it and embrace.  Every day post-op has been a "reward day" for me.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Amy K.
on 9/4/14 4:38 am - Tucson, AZ

Thank you Tracy and Cathy... you both said exactly what I needed to hear.  

jenorama
on 9/4/14 4:41 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

It's tough to break away from the idea of food as a reward and I agree with the other posters that it's a bad idea.  Plus the idea of resetting the metabolism is junk.  But, the concept of a reward day is a good one--just don't reward with food.  I suggest things like a manicure, pedicure, time spent with a book, a small piece of jewelry, a shopping day, even a phone call with a friend that you haven't talked to in a long time.  Anything really that gives you an opportunity to step out of your routine and give you some time for yourself that has nothing to do with food or weight loss.

Separate food from the concept of good and bad and you'll have a better chance of setting yourself up for success.  :D

Jen

Amy K.
on 9/4/14 5:25 am - Tucson, AZ

Thank you Jen, thats what I need to hear.  I am trying to step away from food and drinks as a reward and now I go get a Pedi or go for a hike while hubby watches the little one.  Fortunately, hubby is 100% supportive of what I'm doing. 

jastypes
on 9/4/14 10:45 pm - Croydon, PA

I so wish there was a "like" button.  These responses are awesome.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

NYMom222
on 9/5/14 1:27 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

If you are having a hungry day, eat more of the good stuff. "Reward" by nature implies junk....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active