Energy levels post op

Massage_lady
on 9/4/14 11:41 am

I am trying to decide between gastric bypass and gastric sleeve surgery. I am a massage therapist and was wondering if the malabsorption problems with the gastric bypass cause any problems with energy levels? I exercise regularly and have completed 2 mini triathlons (super-sprints)both at over 300lbs. I like to be active and was hoping to get some vet input.

poet_kelly
on 9/4/14 12:06 pm - OH

the malabsorption wouldn't directly affect energy levels.  however, vitamin deficiencies do cause lack of energy, so it's important to take your vitamins regularly and get labs done regularly so you can adjust your vitamins if needed after RNY.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SkinnyScientist
on 9/4/14 3:44 pm

HI!  I CAN answer this.

I exercised regularly before and after surgery.

Initially (i.e. the first month after surgery) my energy levels were low and I required about 8-12 hours of sleep.

Nine months post op and my energy levels are through the roof!  I wake up on my own after just 6 hours of sleep!  Before surgery, I could not jog/plod/run a 5K (despite step aerobics and tae bo).  After surgery (at 8-9 months) I can jog/plod 4.2 miles without training for it and quickly got up to an 8.5 mile jog.  i am now working on trying to increase my 5K time and do hill work for an upcoming 5K.

I find there is much more "reserves" in the tank.

My surgery and subsequent weightloss has given me tons of more energy. Sometimes the strength  my body puts into an action is MORE than what is needed and I either walk with a crazy bounce or walk and kick too hard because my body was used to propelling 270 lbs around ...not 170 lbs!

I love my surgery and the results it has given me!

Good luck

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Valerie G.
on 9/5/14 7:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Malabsorption is an advantage - Malnutrition is a problem. 

The two do NOT have to go together.  I've got the DS (way more malabsorption than RNY) and I can tell you that I have LOADS of energy and in wonderful health.  Malabsorption gives us the advantage of an advanced metabolism.  Many people need this added edge, especially when their body fights them tooth and nail with every diet attempt.  The trade off is taking supplements to make up for what the body doesn't absorb as much naturally anymore from food (in addition to not being able to eat enough to sustain good nutrition). 

You can be incredibly active with either procedure.  The question to ask yourself is what does your body really need to change?  Is eating less going to be enough (VSG/sleeve), or do you need that metabolic edge to kick your body into gear? (RNY or DS)

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active