Heads Up Regarding Re-Gain

jastypes
on 9/4/14 10:43 pm - Croydon, PA

I had surgery in 2007 and lost 135 pounds rather quickly.  I re-gained 45 pounds.  Through diligence and with help, I was able to re-lose that plus more.  I see an awful lots of posts here and in WLS grads where people have gained significant amounts of weight back after much success following surgery.  We all know someone (or more than one someone) who has put back on a lot, most or even all of their weight after WLS.  Sometimes they believe their surgery failed them, and they seek out a revision.  Sometimes, sadly, they just give up and accept their obesity.  I'm just posting because it breaks my heart to see it time after time after time, when I honestly believe it is avoidable!  Yes, this takes work.  It takes dedication.  It takes focus and diligence.  IT IS NOT THE EASY WAY OUT.  Find the things that work for you -- WLS support; OA; counseling; personal trainer; gym; a workable plan of eating; a dietician; your surgeon's resources.  Don't let go, and don't give up.  The rewards of living a healthier life are innumerable and so worth the effort.  Follow the pouch rules.  Consider abstaining from alcohol and sugar altogether (and any other foods that are trigger foods for you).  Weigh yourself once a week, or once a month.  It is so much easier to lose 5 pounds than 50. 

And if you are one of those people struggling with regain, it is NEVER too late to use your tool. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

HarvestMoon1974
on 9/4/14 11:13 pm - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

You are so right on this. Regain happens, but it doesn't have to define us or our wls experience. I had some regain at a couple of points over the years, but have managed to lose it again, and am maintaining now. No, this is definitely not the easy way out. Not by any stretch. I am 9 years out, and busting my ass harder now than ever before, to make sure the weight stays off. Coming back to OH after a lengthy absence has really helped with my motivation, as did my revision in May. The revision was for medical reasons, not weight loss or regain related, but it still helped to refocus my energy and keep me on track with my maintenance. Since it was done, I am healthier than I have been in years, and have so much energy, it's amazing. The support from my amazing surgeon and his staff are also a great help. My original surgeon didn't do the revision, and I'm grateful for that, as I love the new surgeon I've found.

So many things can happen along the road to successful weight loss and maintenance, and it's sad to see how discouraged and desperate so many of us become. The wls is a tool for success, and so are the OH forums, support groups, fitness clubs, etc. that are out there. Together we can help each other, one success story at a time

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

Kate -True Brit
on 9/4/14 11:28 pm - UK

All very true. I hate those threads which say "X pounds lost forever". Hopefully they are gone forever! But only if we work at it and don't become complacent. 

For me losing wasn't too hard and the first three years of maintenance were reasonably easy. It was at about five years out that I realised I was allowing weight to creep on, smoky by being too relaxed.

I am afraid the obese person we used to be is always inside us waiting to take over! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/5/14 1:59 am, edited 9/5/14 1:59 am

May I add - there is many posts about regain and people asking advice what to do. On the grad forum - there are 3-4 on the same page.. why people can't read? of it they read responses to other - i am not sure what they expect ? different advice?  I am getting  bit tired of answering the same question over and over.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 9/5/14 9:29 pm - Warren, OH

This is a great post.  Going back to obesity is avoidable.  But it is not easy, but it is easier for me than when I did not have surgery and when the diets did not work. 

• I have to track what I eat and track my exercise. 
  • I personally have to weigh myself every morning. 
  • I never feel like I can just relax and do what I please. 
  • I attended OA, Weigh****chers, and worked with therapists

I wanted this to be the easy way out and found out that is only stays easy for the first few years.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active