Waiting to drink water after you drink protein

Sparklegigi
on 9/5/14 2:18 am - La Verne, CA

There was a recent facebook post where several people were saying that you have to use the 45 min rule to wait to eat/drink water after you drink a protein drink.  Has anyone ever heard of this before? I thought liquids were liquids?  They were saying that you wash all of the protein away.  I have to say I have never done it this way, I drink protein and then have water too.  Were any of you told that by your doctor?

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/5/14 2:27 am

Waiting to drink water after proteins shake - for VSG -it may make sense... for us - RNY - not so much... unless it is a really really thick shake

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 9/5/14 2:28 am - OH

What do they mean, you wa**** away?  You wa**** out of your pouch, yeah, but it's not like it stays in there anyway if it's a liquid.  And you don't absorb protein in your pouch, you absorb it in the small intestine, where you absorb other nutrients.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sparklegigi
on 9/5/14 2:34 am - La Verne, CA

thanks, it seemed odd to me too.  So, I can continue with my water and protein shake and then wait my time to eat like always?  I thought this was something new and I had been doing it wrong, which got me thinking (because I had a substantial gain) that perhaps this was why.  I think they are cray cray.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/5/14 3:34 am, edited 9/5/14 3:34 am

Maybe the gain is because you drink your calories in protein shake  ..the you eat them.. as food. 

The only reason I add proteins hakes now if I am running low on proteins and just can't fit protein food in me.. or any other food.. (days I am not really hungry and it is chore to eat...)
Best way  for me to avoid regain or lose some regain is to eat real food - dense proteins.. . and limit carbs,  and food that are sliders..

If I need to make I get my proteins from dense  proteins sources:meat fish, eggs, etc- there is very little space for anything else.. so that also limits my calories and keeps me ful.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Tracy D.
on 9/5/14 3:48 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Liquid is liquid...even with the sleeve it's going to clear the stomach after a few minutes.  I'd like to see what evidence the FB poster used in claiming that is "washes away the protein".   Total nonsense! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sparklegigi
on 9/5/14 4:11 am - La Verne, CA

thought so too!

Sparklegigi
on 9/5/14 4:39 am - La Verne, CA

thought so too!

andella95
on 9/7/14 2:12 pm

I've heard this one too....and if it were true, wouldn't we want to drink after eating to wash away all those calories?  It's just silly.  

SW:  284 (7/9/13)   CW: 282 (8/5/13) (2nd pre-op appt) GW: 135

Chilipepper
on 9/5/14 4:20 am

No question is stupid. I don't think she mentioned evidence. Maybe they were misinformed. Glad you got clarification.

I agree. Try to get your protein more through foods at this point than shakes. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active