Ive gotta get over this HEAD HUNGER, I think It put me back in the HOSPITAL!! I WAS ...

Bonnie250
on 9/10/14 2:25 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

August 25th I had my RNY. Since then I struggled hard with head hunger. I wanted to eat. NOW I KNOW that "wanting to EAT" and being "HUNGRY" are 2 totally different things. BUT after years of not knowing or caring what the difference was I think i have to learn ALL OVER again. How to feel REAL HUNGER, and the difference of just wanting to EAT....this totally sucks...ANYWAY, so I have pushed the liquid diet, and ate a few things I shouldnt, then when I was allowed pureed, I really ate some things i SHOULD NOT HAVE. Not much of it, but I really didnt follow my surgeons guidelines.I never felt nausea, I never felt like 2 bites of food and i was stuffed, I only felt hungry... I felt like I could pu**** and try some things in small amounts. WRONG!!! I am so embarrased to admit, I had some (soft) mexican food  one week out of surgery. STUPID. I had some pizza like 12-13 days out. STUPID. I cant tell you why, other than i thought "if i chew it really good," and "I will just have a little"  well Monday I had a few bites of meat and vegetables for lunch, started hurting BAD. I started having mouthfuls of it coming up. It was only about 2-3 bites of that lunch but 2-3 bites too many!  So later on Monday i was hungry, since lunch didnt go well, So i had a big bowl of sweetened cereal. STUPID. I started dumping again, mouthfuls of syrupy sweet cereal for what seemed like 2 hours kept spitting this up....then that stopped, and later in the evening i had a few bites of soft cooked potatoes. then I VOMITED. Not the spit ups, but vomited. HORRIBLE. I called the doctor on call, and he said to drink water, to flush out my stomach, that i might get diareaha. but i didnt. it all came up. At this point, I COULDNT HOLD DOWN WATER. I tried liquid tylenol for the severe stomach cramps, nope. NOTHING stayed in my pouch.  I ended up in the ER. only 2 weeks out of surgery and i ended up in the ER, all because of my hard headed head hunger.  I was admitted, and prescribed total bowel rest. NOTHING, not even water. I was hooked up to an IV. A CAT scan showed a bowel blockage. I was told it would probably work its way out, or possibly something more invasive like surgery might take place. So, after more rest,monitoring,and IV fluids, pain meds....The X ray showed no blockage. Today i was released to go home. I am so glad it didnt require surgery. I was blessed, lucky, and so glad I have a second chance. FROM NOW ON, I WILL TREAT THIS LITTLE POUCH OF MINE LIKE GOLD! I wont pu****I will do what i am supposed to do.  I dont care how much i "WANT TO EAT," I will not advance my diet before i am supposed to. I learned a lesson. If i have to see a therapist, WHATEVER it takes, I AM AND WILL make my TOOL work to my advantage, and take care of it as a priceless gem!! 

Bonnie

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 9/10/14 2:43 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

You know people have died from doing what you are doing?  Have you considered counseling?  A good counselor might help you get a grip on why you are self sabotaging.  Keep us posted.  You can do this. 

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Bonnie250
on 9/11/14 1:35 am
RNY on 08/25/14

yes. I do realize people have died from this. I will not be one of them. As much as i hate getting fussed at, i know its true. i am going to seek a therapist or OA.  Yes I can do this and I WILL.

Bonnie

poet_kelly
on 9/10/14 2:45 pm - OH

I'm sorry you had such a hard experience.  I hope you are feeling better now.

I think seeing a therapist would be a good idea.  Head hunger is hard to deal with.  When we've had a lifetime of eating a lot, eating all the time, eating whether we're hungry or not, well it's hard to change that.  As you know, operating on our stomachs doesn't change how we think or feel or even behave.  but therapy can help us change that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bonnie250
on 9/11/14 1:37 am
RNY on 08/25/14

Thank you for your kind reply. I am feeling much better. I am going to seek out a therapist. I got this!

Bonnie

NikkyBeauty
on 9/10/14 7:44 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

My cousin had her surgery 8/27/2014 and she was/is doing the same thing! She was inthe puréed  staged and ate fried chicken I was like ahh wow!! How are you eating? She was like "I'm puréeing it in my mouth! Oop And she treated me to bday breakfast, she ate more than me and was throwing up! She had the DS so no dumping for her but I hope you learn your lesson and take this more serious I'm not trying to scold you but not only can you do serious damage to yourself god forbid die! Your behavior is only going to lead to re-gain or not getting to your goal weight and I'm sure you don't want that! Sorry you had to go through the scare but life's greatest lessons are learned through pain!! Good luck!

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

Bonnie250
on 9/11/14 1:52 am
RNY on 08/25/14

Your friend,( like me) needs to slow down. I certainly have. I learned a lesson, and I am taking it slow. I got this.

Bonnie

NikkyBeauty
on 9/11/14 7:45 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Amen! I'm happy u have, and good luck again! 

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

MsBatt
on 9/11/14 4:49 am

Your friend may not have the same post-op protocol as you. I had the DS, and I was on soft foods starting week two, and 'try anything you want' by week five. I've known DSers who left the hospital on soft foods.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/11/14 11:02 am - OH

Even some of us RNYers got to have scrambled eggs and oatmeal before we even left the hospital.  All foods, as tolerated, except for a specific list of hard to digest foods (pineapple, broccoli, etc.) by week 6.

(I would have been scratching people's eyes out if they had told me liquids only and purées for 4-6 weeks!  That was the final deciding factor on choosing my surgeon.)

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active