Reflux

Char1Char
on 9/25/14 11:48 pm

Hi,

Just had my sleeve surgery September 10th. Had problems with pulmonary embolism, so do not ever take for granted that this surgery is anything less than major.

The question I have is: is anyone else out there having problems with gastric reflux? Every time I have something to drink or eat, I get it....except when I have a Premier protein shake.

Help. Am I doing something wrong?

56sunShine14
on 9/26/14 1:35 am

From everything I have read here, reflux can be an issue with the Sleeve.  Make sure you are eating slowly and not gulping your drinks. 

Let your surgeon know and ask your doc for an antacid suggestion or get from the store yourself.  I like Pepcid but there are several others with a different medication in it.  Pepcid is the third one I have tried as they seems to be ineffective after a couple of years.  HOWEVER, after having my lap band removed, I hardly ever have reflux any more.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Gwen M.
on 9/26/14 3:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I recommend asking your surgeon about a PPI such as prilosec or nexium.  Many of us take one for the first few months post-op.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tracy D.
on 9/26/14 4:10 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Yes, I had extreme issues with this post-op...it's not unusual at all.   If you aren't currently taking a PPI (Prevacid, Protonix) for your reflux then contact your doctor's office ASAP to get something prescribed.   You don't need to be dealing with this while you're trying to heal.  

For many people, the reflux issue gradually dies down.  Right now your body doesn't understand that your stomach is smaller and is producing the same amount of acid that it did for a big stomach...hence, the problem.  

You aren't doing anything wrong - call your doctor.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Char1Char
on 9/26/14 8:17 am

Thanks so much for the answer. It makes so much sense when I think that my body doesn't know that 80% of my stomach is gone. Someone said to me yesterday that had bypass, "Your body is mad at you right now." It must be furious! I did get an Rx for Protonix and was wondering if this reflus would ever go away on its own. Your answer has given me hope.

Most Active