Need advice on feeding the kids/family while post-op

reset2014
on 9/28/14 1:03 pm

I am doing the pre-op diet but struggle with making dinner for the kids when I can't eat.  I would appreciate any advice you might have on what worked for you.  Obviously, it is something I am going to have to come to terms with.  But it kills me to make them good food when I can't touch it.

kathkeb
on 9/28/14 1:41 pm

Sugar free gum or mints will keep your mouth busy while cooking and feeding.

You might also try to prepare and freeze meals ahead so the whole process is faster for you.

Can you have your meal or shake while they eat, so you can be sitting with them as usual?

It helped me to get into a mindset of "my food" and "their food" for several months.  

WLS was MY choice .... And I was prepared for the fact that my food and eating style would be different.  I did not expect them to change for me

A few years before WLS I did liquid Medifast for 26 weeks ..... But I still went out to lunch and dinner with people, I just got some iced tea and drank that while they ate.  After the first week, it became the 'new normal'

Kath

Gwen M.
on 9/28/14 10:41 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

How old are they? Are you a single parent?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/29/14 3:16 am
RNY on 12/31/13

This was hardest for me during the pre-op diet.  At first, I felt so deprived that it almost seemed torturous to have to cook in addition.  I dealt with this by cooking foods that I didn't like very much.  I still wanted to eat some of it -- but it was a bit easier to resist.  Also, it got easier as I got further into it, too.  A couple of days I made soup and ate the broth.  

After surgery, I was amazed at how much easier it was for me to cook for my family.  I can't say that it's that way for everyone, but for me, I really don't feel tempted very often.  One reason might be because I tend to cook a protein that I can eat, too -- and even during the pureed stage, I would puree some of the protein for myself (and froze stuff, too!) -- and simply add sides to their meals.  Surprisingly, I have found that I still enjoy cooking -- a lot -- and it has been quite a revelation that cooking and eating are quite separate activities.  

As a side note: I did pre-make and freeze a week of meals for the week after my surgery.  It was really nice not to have to worry about cooking while I was recovering.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Luvmygs
on 9/29/14 4:20 am
VSG on 12/04/14

When I was on previous diets, I always had a glass of water or good healthy snack next to me at all times while cooking. I also find freezing dinners in advance really not only makes life easier but no messy pots and pans. I make meals that my family like and they just need to heat it up or throw it in a crock pot. Do a search on Pinterest for "frozen meals" and you'll get all kinds of ideas/recipes.

Valerie G.
on 9/29/14 8:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

First of all, there is no reason your entire family cannot benefit from this change in your life.  I'm not saying to feed them bland food with no taste or go uber calorie conscious.  You didn't mention what kind of pre op diet you were on, but if it's something like low carb/high protein like most of us try to follow post-op, you can simply replace the starch in the meal with an additional veggie.  My family ate the same things I did as I was losing - just larger  portions of it.  For the indulgent goodies, they waited until we went out to eat to get those.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

zoomom07
on 9/29/14 9:48 am

I agree that the preop phase is the hardest as far as cooking for your family. Just gotta get through it! I'd suggest putting some meals in the freezer for the first week or two post-op. In the puréed and soft food stage, the crockpot has been my best friend. I've made several meals that I can easily eat along with everyone else. I think aim already coking healthier for everyone and that's a good thing!

Most Active