Do you keep your weight loss surgery a secret?

Char1Char
on 10/2/14 11:47 am

Just wondering how you all handle it. I am 4 weeks post op (20 lbs down - VSG) and am going to visit friends overnight on Saturday. They LOVE to cook. They do not know I had the surgery and I don't mind telling them but was curious as to how open everyone is to letting people know that you have had this surgery. I am a pretty private person. There's a woman at work that I know had weight loss surgery and she continues to tell everyone that her loss is all because of Weigh****chers.

Thoughts?

poet_kelly
on 10/2/14 12:24 pm - OH

I tell people if it's relevant, just like most other things in my life.  For instance, I am a vegetarian.  But I don't tell that to everyone I meet.  Why would I?  But I do tell people if I am going to their home for dinner, because I don't want them to cook a bunch of meat for me and then be disappointed when I don't eat it.

Now that I'm nearly six years post-op, I don't always tell people I had WLS when I have dinner with them because I can eat a reasonable amount.  But at six weeks post-op, I did tell people I had dinner with because they would wonder why I was eating so little food.

I  personally would not want to lie and say I lost weight because of Weigh****chers.  When I don't want to tell someone something, I don't make something up, I just say "I'm not comfortable sharing that."  For instance, I am disabled and I have a service dog and sometimes strangers in the grocery store will come up and ask me what's wrong with me.  I don't share that information with strangers.  I don't make up an answer, I just say "I'm not comfortable sharing that with people I don't know."

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Queen_Tatiana
on 10/2/14 12:29 pm

I had my surgery in 2004, and other than my husband and two sons, I have told no one,  I don't talk about my weight loss it at all.  Ever.  I don't do it to be intentionally secretive, I simply chose not to talk about it.  It helps that I had the surgery shortly after relocating to a new city (work related move) so no one here where I am now knew as a heavy person. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/2/14 2:19 pm - OH

What Kelly said. I don't tell everyone, and I tell far fewer people now than I did 7 years ago because there is less reason to do so) but I was pretty open about it when I first had it done because people were going to figure it out eventually, anyway.  Not one loses weight this quickly without surgery. I also wasn't embarrassed about it... I did what I needed to do in order to have even a chance at being a normal sized person and being healthy. It wasn't like no one else knew my weight was out of control, after all!

It is especially important not to lie about it in the workplace.  Either politely decline to discuss it or tell the truth (not a half truth) because it can really come back to bite you in the ass if you tell someone you are just dieting and exercising (or whatever) and then they find out you had surgery and lied about it. Even a half truth may get you labeled as dishonest and that can be a significant CLM (career limiting move).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Eggface
on 10/2/14 7:49 pm, edited 10/2/14 7:50 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

My life pretty much an open book. I don't broadcast it but it comes out eventually if I chat with someone a few times. I kind of like the fact that those I know can say they know someone who is doing quite well post WLS... instead of the typical "my friend's, sister's, hair stylists client had THAT surgery and insert: 1.) gained it all back or 2.) died." P.S.  Rarely do they actually know this person... just "heard" about them.

I also think with rapid weight loss if you don't say something they may assume the worst and start up a collection for your cancer treatments or something. 

Cons... a lot of people will tell you "horror stories" real or not, and you suddenly have a lot of food police watching you "Oh you can eat that?"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

soozy_q
on 10/2/14 10:43 pm
RNY on 10/20/14

I feel the same way.  My surgery is scheduled for 10/20 and I have told my family, close friends, and co-workers.  Missing time from work and rapid weight loss are bound to bring on questions, so I decided to be upfront about it.  I too get to hear the horror stories, and not everyone understands my decision to pursue WLS, but all in all they are supportive.

Char1Char
on 10/2/14 10:44 pm

Wow. How ironic that YOU (Eggface) replied. Last night, I found your blog and website and was thrilled! I also love to cook and feared having to give that up. I looked through your recipes, ideas and suggested products and bookmarked everything. Going to GNC this morning to get some of the Quest bars. Looked at Container store online for the bento boxes. It is a whole new world! I would have never thought of Torani syrups.

I've already had a few of the horror stories. People dying from the surgery, gained the weight back, etc. They seem to love stories of failure and anxiously await yours.

Thanks so much for your input....and BTW, you look awesome!

Char1Char
on 10/2/14 10:49 pm

Thanks, everyone for taking the time to reply. Going back to work on 10/13. A few people know at work....all supportive. It will be interesting.

Char1Char
on 10/3/14 10:13 am

Hey, Michelle! Having your cucumber sandwiches in a few minutes. They are so cute!

HarvestMoon1974
on 10/3/14 1:22 am - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

I was lucky enough to have a male coworker who had a bypass a couple of years before me, and was doing amazingly well. It sort of paved the way for me in the workplace. No horror stories at work, just a police chief who tried to be food police. I just ignored him. I'm very open about my wls, and although I have encountered a few people who tell me I should've worked as hard as they did, most people have been extremely supportive, and told me I should be really proud of myself. I've also been able to help some people who were considering wls themselves, but needed to talk to a real life success story in order to have their questions answered. I''m always honest about what I've been through, including my complications. It's not always easy to deal with the negative people, but in my case, they've been far outnumbered by the postitive ones.

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

Most Active