revision of VBG

cinzig
on 10/7/14 12:54 am - GA
I had my surgery in 2007 lost 60 lbs gained back 30lbs. many problems with GERD,vomitting,. I had developed bad arthritis & underwent 3 different knee surgeries in that time span. I have a date set to revise to a gastric bypass. My question has anyone decided not to and had their stomach returned to normal? what was the outcome if any? I am very nervous to have any problems.
Linda_S
on 10/7/14 2:13 am - Eugene, OR

So, you have a band now, and are wanting to revise to RNY gastric bypass?  I've read so many problems with the band and have several friends who've either had them removed or just had total failure with them.  I do, however, have one friend who did well with one.  I have an RNY gastric bypass and, while I've had good weight loss and kept it off, I never got to my goal.  I lost 85 pounds, gained 20 back, and have stayed there for about 5.5 years.  The problem, however, is that I have severe hypoglycemia.  Now that I know better, I would highly recommend keeping your pyloric valve and intrinsic factor at the bottom of your stomach.  That is, I think a VSG - vertical sleeve gastrectomy - would be the way to go.  Reduced stomach capacity, but still most of your normal anatomy intact.  Discuss this with your surgeon.  I might note I didn't have any diabetes or anything before surgery.  Now if I eat carbs or sugar I just totally pass out.  It's not fun, and it's dangerous.  It's a fairly rare complication, but it does happen.

Best of luck to you on your decision. 

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

cinzig
on 10/7/14 3:10 am - GA
thank you Linda, I had suggested the sleeve to my Doctor, but he said he would rather do the bypass. He said if any complications occur you would still have the option to reattach your stomach. He said ,the sleeve would be a permanent procedure. It is a very scary decision. I'm constantly thinking because I do not have the backing of friends and family. I here only the war stories of failures. I seem to keep looking and reading of all the wonderful success stories that my final decision is still difficult to commit to .
MsBatt
on 10/8/14 12:53 am

I don't think your doctor is giving you the best possible advice. With arthritis, you NEED to be able to take NSAIDs, which is a really BAD thing to do if you have an RNY/gastric bypass. VERY BAD, as in potentially life-threatening.

In your position, *I* would find a different surgeon and have the surgery type that *I* wanted.

Most Active