Body image after major loss

Phatphotog
on 10/3/14 11:35 am

You know what really sucks? Losing 70 lbs (4 month post op vsg) and not feeling like you look any different. I can see the scale, I see how my old pants fall completely off of me but I look in the mirror and I see the same image as before. :( I feel really good now and I love getting in smaller sizes! But we had family pictures yesterday and they are beautiful but all I see is the size I was before. I feel embarrassed having them on FB because to me I look exactly the same and I've been very open about surgery and how much I've lost. I have 50 lbs to go and I'm wondering if I'll ever feel like I succeeded if I can't even see a difference now. :( anyone else feel this way? I'm going to start weight training so hopefully toning up will make a big difference. 

Gwen M.
on 10/3/14 11:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've expressed the same thing to my partners and one is super helpful.  He looks at current pictures of me and points out everything that looks different.  He shows me old pictures of myself too.  Seeing them side by side can really help.  And having someone else point the differences out to me is great.  

Have you tried something like that?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

kathkeb
on 10/3/14 12:28 pm

It helpedme to see myself in pictures with other people.

People who I consider to be of average size.

You might also consider taking a photo each month in the same place with a landmark or person you can compare over time.

Not to be judgmental, but just for a visual comparison.

Kath

Nikke2003
on 10/4/14 12:38 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

One thing that was really critical for me during the losing phase in making sure I felt good about myself and could see the losses was to make sure I wearing clothing that fit me properly. It's difficult to do unless you have tons of money... but making sure you aren't wearing baggy or loose clothing REALLY does help. Pictures, pictures, pictures are also SO important!

Hang in there!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Kate M.
on 10/6/14 4:45 am - toronto, Canada

Two things to try:

1. If you can get ahold of butcher's paper, have someone trace your outline of your body on it, then every 10 lbs you have them trace again in a different color, and write down your stats in each ring.

2. If you have access to photoshop or other image software: Take your profile and front view progress pics and put them into photoshop. Put each image on a different layer and then make a transparent layer on top, outline your body in a different color for each pic. Then hide the layers underneath (the actual photos) you will see a series of outlines shrinking.

lollipop_candy_girl
on 7/12/16 9:36 pm, edited 7/12/16 2:37 pm - Confluence, PA
RNY on 11/13/12

I know this is an old post and I haven't been on here in a long time!!!! It will be 4 years in November that I have had surgery. Before surgery I was 354. The lowest I got was 167, currently I am 172. I am not happy with how I look. I have so much loose skin on my legs, arms and stomach, my boobs went from a size DD to a C. I have lost confidence in myself. I put a bathing suit on and tried to figure out how to hide everything and I looked flat chested. I tell my husband that I hate how I look and he tells me that he loves me no matter what, but I can't get him to understand that it is so hard for me to look in the mirror. Clothes don't fit me right or able to hide everything. 

Highest Weight - 354(March 29, 2012) Day of Surgery 292 (Nov. 13, 2012)

Dcadaval
on 7/13/16 6:48 am
VSG on 06/20/16

I know what you mean.  I haven't loss as much as you yet but I am wondering why my loss isn't more noticeable in my appearance.  I'm looking forward to seeing the difference.  I feel the difference, like you.  I am further from my steering wheel, I have way more energy, I notice in my clothes, but I don't SEE IT in the mirror.  This is why I stay engaged on this site, reading about everyone else's story keeps me motivated and patient.  Keep up the great work, you've come a long way.  

Age: 43. 6' 1" HW 413 lbs. VSG on 06/20/16 at Jackson South w/ Dr. Jacobsd

Boxerlover3452
on 7/13/16 8:16 am
RNY on 06/06/16

I think I know what you're talking about.  I haven't lost that much weight yet.  I'm 5 weeks out and lost 30#.  While I feel so much better, I still see disgust when I look in the mirror. 

I'm so sorry you feel the way you feel.  I don't have any answers, but I have plenty of empathy for you.  I'm looking forward to hearing how others respond to your post.  From your picture, you look beautiful.

Phatphotog
on 7/13/16 12:57 pm

This is a reallyyyyy old post! I haven't been on here in forever! So I just wanted to encourage everyone who has had surgery more recently. Keep plugging away! You can achieve your goals! i Ended up losing 111 lbs total (size 26 to 10) and have gained back about 12. I have been really busy and not working out like I should! But some how I lucked out and it went back to my boobs and butt. Haha! I still fit in my smallest clothes. I am soooo glad I had this surgery (2 years post op last month.) please be as kind to yourself as you are to others. I tell myself that all the time. I usually think the worst things about myself and give grace to everyone else. :( Good luck to you all!

6-5-14 - VSG with Dr. Corvala at Hospital Angeles, Tijuana 

Phatphotog
on 7/13/16 1:03 pm, edited 7/13/16 6:03 am

Here are a couple pics :)

6-5-14 - VSG with Dr. Corvala at Hospital Angeles, Tijuana 

Most Active