Oh my God

CGervolstad2381
on 10/17/14 9:10 am
VSG on 11/12/14

I am having surgery I am a little nervous but excited to finally be healthy. I am really wondering what I will look like skinny since I have always been bigger. Did anyone else cry when they were approved or get anxiety? What should I bring with me to the hospital? 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/17/14 2:14 pm - OH

I screamed (just a little) when I got the call from my surgeon's office telling me that I had been approved and setting up my surgery date.  As soon as I got off the phone, I sat in my car and cried with relief.  I wasn't nervous at all until the morning I got to the hospital and then the enormity of what I was about to do hit me.  It is still one of the best decisions if my life, though.

You really don't need to bring much to the hospital.  Wear loose clothes when you go in that you will be able to wear home, and then you don't need any clothing but underwear.  You will want to take basic toiletries, hairbrush, etc., and if you have slip on, non-skid slippers those will be useful.  You CAN take your own pajamas and robe, but you run the risk of getting blood or something else on them (and it is a HUGE hassle with the IV tubing).  It is easier to just wear the hospital gown and wear a second gown backwards as a robe for walking the halls.

You may want your cell phone and charger, but you won't be there very long, and will be mostly either sleeping or walking while you ARE there, so you don't need any books or things to occupy your time. Some people take tablets, but many hospitals refuse to be responsible for them if they disappear. Some people find lip balm to be very useful, and having a pillow to hold against your abdomen for the ride home is often a plus (but whomever comes to the hospital to take you home can bring that when they come).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active