6 days POST OP,

SandyB_in_CA
on 10/25/14 7:09 am
VSG on 10/20/14

I'm 6 days post op (VSG) and I am still having trouble getting in enough protein and water. I'm not getting sick just feel FULL.  Any helpful suggestions?

dccyr
on 10/25/14 7:34 am

It takes a few weeks to get up to the total protein and fluids. Just sip sip sip and eat a bit at a time, it will improve over time. No doctor expects you to get 60 grams of protein and 64 oz of fluids with in 6 days of surgery. It took me a few weeks. 

So just be patient.

SandyB_in_CA
on 10/25/14 8:11 am
VSG on 10/20/14

Thank you for the input.

angelstwo
on 10/25/14 8:27 am
VSG on 10/15/14

I am four days ahead of you.  I finally got 64 oz of fluids in for the first time yesterday at 9 days out.  I have been concentrating on the fluids and not worrying about the protein yet which my surgery team said was fine especially since I was dehydrated once already to the point of needing IV fluids.  Once I regularly get the 64 oz fluids in I will begin to increase my protein intake to the required amount.  The first week is especially difficult but it does get easier.  Also try different temperatures of fluids a lot of vsger's find room temp and hot fluids easier.  I personally have found thicker fluids and ice cold water easier.  Also sip, sip, and sip.  Good luck and don't take any chances if you think you might be dehydrated - call your surgeon.

Luvmygs
on 10/26/14 2:24 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Sandy, you should check out the VSG forum, there's a few new sleevers with the same issue. My favorite Dr., check out his video on fluid intake after surgery; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7v_FAEU76s

Valerie G.
on 10/26/14 5:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I wouldn't worry so much about the protein as I would the water.   Get a big bottle or cup of anything wet that doesn't suck and sip all day.  64oz is your goal here, and it should be achieved ASAP to avoid dehydration.  Protein drinks count towards that quota too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/14 12:40 pm

I had my surgery last Tuesday, 10/21.  Started at 297.6 and down to 275.4.  My Dr says 1 oz of liquid every hour which I am doing.  Included in that is 8 oz of Protein Drink.  My problem is I am so tired.  I have no energy at all. Does anyone else have that problem.  Tomorrow starts week 2 so I can have a few more things and move to 2 ounces every hour.  My Doctor doesn't start focusing on Protein until the 2 week Post Op appt.  Is anyone else having this problem?

Most Active