My new life with my sleeve...day 4 into my journey

reset2014
on 10/28/14 9:35 am

Ok, I did it.  I hope this helps some of you pre-ops as you plan your journey.

Surgery Day (10/24/14)  Despite a few obstacles the day of surgery(not able to get an IV in and trying 4 different locations..ouch), and then surgery being delayed by 6.5 hours while I waited with my IV in my armI was able to come home the same day as my surgery -about 4 hours after surgery in fact.  The dr. tells me it went perfect and my liver was very small (thank-you high protein/very low carb diet).

Day 1and 2: I felt like I had been hit by a mack truck. every movement hurt, every joint throbbed.  I also gained 10 pounds (from the day before when I went in for the surgery)  The dr. explained this was all fluids from the surgery and not to panick.   I barely was able to get one 16 oz water bottle in me.  I also had a low fever that was on/off. (Dr. tells me the main reason for the fever was not using my inspirometer/breathing thing enough).  He was right.  I started doing it very regularly. I had to then go see the dr....who was75 miles away to have my drain removed.  Yeah, that's not so fun. Slept a lot that day.  Parents arrived at the end of day 2.

Day 3: No pain meds today.  Started feeling better, had a cleaning crew come into clean my house.  Such a blessing to not have to stress over the things I wasn't able to do!  Spent some time with my parents, slept a fair bit.  Was excited to be able to get one bottle of ISOPure in me...40 g protein.  I also discovered decaf chamomile tea. I never liked tea or coffee before but the chamomile really went down smoothly.  I also took some gas x -  dissolvable strip (advice from this site...works like a charm).  Mom made elaborate dinner for the family and I had ZERo interest in it.  I have lost the 10 pounds from the day after surgery.

Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I have had very minimal calories or food for 5 days.

Day 4: Feeling better, achy joint/muscle pains are gone. Still no interest in food.  I am able to drink more liquid, not as tired but still not doing a lot.  Was excited to take a real shower.  Up until this point, I was doing sponge baths and having hubby help me wash my hair in the  kitchen sink. I also was able to remove the bandages from the five incisions.

Day 2: Still felt very achy and in pain with movement.  Getting in and out of bed was an ordeal!  My parents arrived late that evening and were staying in a hotel.  I had told them not to come but I am now glad they are here to help with the kids.  Slept on and off all day- 2 hours at a time. Still had trouble getting liquids in.

StacysSleevedLife
on 10/28/14 9:12 pm

Congratulations on taking the first step to a healthier you. I have my surgery January 12, 2013 and it was the best decision I could have made.

Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg 

StephK10
on 10/29/14 5:32 am

Thank you so much for this.  My surgery date is 11/17 and I'm starting to really think about the particulars of what each day of recovery will be like (I'm a control freak and I like to know what's going on!).  Please share as much as you can. :)  

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

reset2014
on 10/29/14 12:23 pm

Best of luck to you.  I am also a major control freak and obsessively organized.  This may seem very OCD to others but I used my nervous energy to make sure I had time to recover. Here was my plan of attack. 

Weekend before  Surgery:

cleaned my home from top to bottom, changed all the sheets, washed bath mats, throw rugs, dog bed anything I could throw in the washing machine.

Stocked the freezer and refridg with a trip to Costco, stocked up on toilet paper, premier protein shakes, freezer type meals, laundry soap, body wash shampoo etc.  frozen pizzas for the kids and hubby. 

Ordered some chewable vitamins on line along with the UNJURY unflavored protein

Hit the GNC and Hi Health for the isopure clear beverage drink (yuck)

During the week prior to surgery:

I picked up my prescriptions for the day before surgery and also for after surgery. 

I kept up with the laundry and keeping the house clean.  I set TIVo and loaded several movies to my IPAD

Wed: I had my car gassed up and detailed and bathed the dog.

Thursday: I shaved my legs/etc and I went for a manicure and pedicure (so glad I did this!) I also changed my sheets so I would have clean sheets to sleep in after surgery.

Frid: was my surgery day. I was not required to stay in the hospital.

Scheduled a cleaning crew to come the Monday after my surgery (Fri.) and then every two weeks.

The first few day were a little rough.  The pain was not really that bad.  The gas caused me to have muscle and joint pains for about a day.  I was a little freaked out on day one when I barely got 16 oz of water down for the entire day but that also gradually got better.

Everyone's experience is different, but I decided I was going to pray and prepare the best I could and them just trust the process and follow the docs. recommendations to the letter.  .  I am now at day 5 and feel pretty good. I am still taking it easy but I am able to do light house work.  My biggest obstacle is bending over.

Good luck!  I hope this helps.  You will do great.

StephK10
on 10/29/14 9:40 pm

Reset2014, are we related? :)  Because your plan of attack is pretty much exactly what I'm planning (or have already done).  I don't have kids or a partner, so luckily I don't have to worry about feeding anyone but me!  

I like the idea of the mani/pedi!  I'm going to do that.  I have ordered vitamins & UNJURY (also for my two-week liquid pre-op diet, which starts Sunday).  

I was saying to my best friend yesterday that my anxiety & uber-planning actually makes me feel less anxious about the surgery itself, which for me is a good thing.  I'm actually a nurse and likely know WAY more about the things that can go wrong than I should.  So...I'm fixating on things like clean sheets, stocking the fridge and cutting the dog's nails so I don't worry about the surgery. :)  

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

Most Active