Discomfort When Eating/Drinking 3 Months Post-Op

samhain
on 11/6/14 8:06 am

Hi All,

I've had a very uneventful post-op period since my 8/18 RNY, but for about 48 hours now I've had some discomfort whenever I eat or drink anything. I'd put it at a 2 out of 10 on the pain scale. I have had no nausea or vomiting since surgery and still don't, just a noticeable, uncomfortable cramping sensation as soon as anything hits my pouch, accompanied with some loud gurgling as it makes its way down. I'm taking omerprazole as I have been every day since being released. This happens no matter what I eat or drink, no matter the consistency or temperature. I know this is the prime time for an ulcer to develop, but the pain is very mild and not burning. 

I did leave a message for my surgeon, who is at the obesity conference in Boston but one of the nurses said they were messaging him and he'd give me a call asap. I'm not super concerned but it's nagging at me a bit and I go into worry overdrive and think the worst, of course. Has anyone had anything similar or have a hunch what's going on?

NYMom222
on 11/6/14 12:19 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I am 3 1/2 months out also, and when I went for my 3 month follow up I told him I was having some uncomfortableness when I ate. Hated to call it pain, because it wasn't that bad. He thought I might have some kind of irritation starting, so he upped my omeprezole and told me to take tums. I also began cutting back on portions a little, making sure I was cutting everything really small and making sure I was eating slowly. It took about 2 weeks but it does seem to be getting better. Good Luck

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Valerie G.
on 11/6/14 10:07 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Do you still have a gallbladder?  That is something to be mindful of as well, and will get progressively worse with time.  If you still have it, avoid all caffeine and fat - two triggers for attacks.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

samhain
on 11/6/14 11:34 pm

No gallbladder, I had it removed 12 years ago. I'm working from home today and taking it easy on my belly. Hopefully it starts feeling happier over the weekend.

samhain
on 11/10/14 5:26 am

My surgeon called in a prescription for Carafate. He thinks it could be an acid issue. I'm hoping it's not an ulcer. :-/

Most Active