Very upset

Tish24
on 12/1/14 9:48 am - Owen Sound, Canada

It is three weeks today since my bypass surgery and I have already quit losing weight. I was at the docs one week after and was down 13 pounds. Was back at the docs today and I haven't lost a pound, I haven't gained but I didn't lose any either. I'm going to be very pissed if i have gone through all this and I don't lose any weight. Need less to say I'm a little upset. Of course everyone blames you, well, you must be doing something wrong. How the hell do you do it wrong, my stomach is suppose to be the size of a walnut, it is too much pain to over eat, and trying to be more active right now three weeks out is a little painful. Does anyone have any experience with this, any help at all would be appreciated.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/1/14 9:59 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Be kind to yourself, you've just had major surgery & you are still healing. Stay off the scale & don't obsess about the numbers. Healing & sticking with your doctors plan is what is best right now. You're gonna feel crappy for awhile so I wouldn't sweat the exercise routine right now either. Drink, walk, repeat often. Hang in there, it does get better!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Tish24
on 12/1/14 10:02 am - Owen Sound, Canada

Thanks, I really hope your right. I read that the first 6 months is the best time to lose most of your weight. I guess I have been obsessing about it. 

Ladytazz
on 12/1/14 10:15 am

It's called the 3 week stall.  Very common.  Most of us have a big drop the first week or two and then it seems to come to a screeching halt.

You haven't gone through all this for nothing.  The weight loss will continue but it may not be predictable.  It seems the happiest people are the ones that don't weigh very often.

If you only weigh yourself monthly then you are pretty much guaranteed to see a loss.

I know you are probably sick of hearing this but you didn't gain all the excess weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight, either.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Gwen M.
on 12/1/14 11:02 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Stalls happen throughout this process.  Sadly you've just got to trust your plan and the process.  The weight will come off if you stick to the plan.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

JenniPenny
on 12/1/14 12:02 pm - MN

You didn't gain all your weight in 3 weeks you're not going to lose it in 3 weeks either. Your scale slowed or stalled when you were on the way up and your weight will slow or stall on the way down. It's giving your body a chance to catch up, your skin to shrink a bit and then you'll start losing again. 6months is a time  of rapid weight loss but after surgery  we can lose weight anytime. You're retaining water still from surgery, you're body is still trying to figure out what you did to it. Keep on your program  of water and food/protein  shake intake where your doc wants and you'll be losing again soon. You're going to go down, plateau out and then start losing again. WHen you aren't losing pounds you're losing inches. Don't obsess  over it, take it one day at a time and you'll get to your goal in time.

Jen RNY 2001

Kate -True Brit
on 12/1/14 4:48 pm - UK

To reassure yourself, use the search function on here and you will find quite literally hundreds of posts from people with exactly this worry. It doesn't always happen but it very often does. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

poet_kelly
on 12/1/14 8:03 pm - OH

You haven't quit losing weight.  You won't lose every day or every week.  But you will keep losing.  Who is blaming you/

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tish24
on 12/1/14 9:18 pm - Owen Sound, Canada

Thanks, the doctor, his first question was, what are you doing? Even my Mom, who said that it must be something I'm doing. I was really upset yesterday so I might have been a little sensitive to the whole thing.

Tish24
on 12/1/14 9:24 pm - Owen Sound, Canada

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I guess yesterday was a big shock, no body ever talked about the "stalls". It just really freaked me out, has you can tell. I have my one month check up next week, I guess I will have something to talk to them about...lol. 

Most Active