nervous, scared... and I haven't even had my first appt yet.

irishblue422
on 11/30/14 5:50 am - Tulsa

I have my first appointment with my surgeon tomorrow and I'm nervous. What if it doesn't work out, what if it does, kind of thing. I'm 36, my HW 336, CW 316. I have no health issues, but my mom died at 51 from colon cancer. I am still having mixed emotions about having surgery. I have talked to my dr's and they are all for it. Sometimes, with my age and not having any co-morbidities (not that I wont in a few years though), I feel like its cheating. My family and friends are all supportive and tell me its not. I have never been one to do fad dieting but I did eat well and lost 75 lbs and kept it off for 9 months. Other than just eating better I haven't really tried anything.

Thanks for reading my rant :)

HW: 336, CW: 266                    VSG on 1/23/2015

GW: 150

Bubbles314
on 11/30/14 7:07 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

In my first appt with the surgeon I expressed that I was nervous and I wanted to continue the process but I was still on the fence.  I got on line and continued to gather information about RNY and the sleeve.  The Dr also talked to me about what he thought it could do for me and that helped. (no pressure) 

Some people think this is the easy way out WLS, I'm thinking they haven't had WLS.  It is not easy, you need to learn to eat a totally different way.  I could lose weight and I did and then I gained it back.  Several times as a matter of fact over the years. Until I got on insulin and I could not lose weight to save my life.  I had the wls and am learning a new way to eat, I am not always perfect but I am losing and learning a lot.  I had surgery Oct 6 of this year and I have lost 59 pounds and I feel energetic for the first time in years.

Good luck with your decision.  It was the best decision I made.

irishblue422
on 11/30/14 7:23 am - Tulsa

Thank you! I don't know why I'm so nervous. I have worked in the medical field for 10 years and my step-mom used to work for the surgeon I'm seeing, lol. But I know I will eventually go through with it.

Thank you

HW: 336, CW: 266                    VSG on 1/23/2015

GW: 150

Luvmygs
on 11/30/14 7:53 am
VSG on 12/04/14

After my first appointment with my surgeon, all my fears went away. Dr. Estakhri made me feel so comfortable about my decision. Grant it, I did tons of research prior to my first visit. But, I still felt a little nervous. NOT NOW! I'm ready and can't wait to get this girl healthy!!! Good luck. Christine

Poodlemac
on 11/30/14 8:27 am
RNY on 09/26/14

First time I met my actual surgeon (long insurance related story!) I expressed to him I was a bit nervous because I've never been a fan of elective surgery. He looked me in the eye and said "this surgery is going to change your life for the better in SO many ways, you can't even imagine!"  I cried and was sold!  Never nervous another minute!  And he was spot on!!!

HLen
on 11/30/14 8:32 am
RNY on 07/11/14

Very similar here... 35, HW 334, no comorbidities... I kind of felt like it was cheating... But then I reminded myself... Maybe I won't be so lucky with comorbidities in the future.. I could get one... So think of it like a flu shot... It's a preventative measure... Along with the tool and lifestyle change to lose weight!  It was a fantastic choice for me! 

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

irishblue422
on 11/30/14 8:51 am - Tulsa

I'm glad you feel that way, I have started to see it that way. Also I look at it in the cancer perspective, if there is a strong family history of breast cancer, some women will have mastectomies to decrease their chances of getting cancer. this will decrease mine of getting colon cancer.

Poodlemac
on 11/30/14 11:43 am, edited 11/30/14 11:43 am
RNY on 09/26/14

Another take is I was the healthiest fat girl you ever met my whole life. Suddenly, about 3 years ago I was diagnosed with type II Diabetes, high blood pressure, bad veins in my legs, precancerous Barrett's esophagus, and terrible reflux among other pains- all related to obesity. My only regret is not having this life changing surgery much sooner. 

Han Shot First
on 11/30/14 10:15 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I would totally echo what Bubbles and the others said.  It is most definitely not the easy way out, but (at least for me) it was the best way.  If I would've continued my dieting without surgery I would've kept yo-yo-ing until I eventually died earlier than I should. 

Being just a little younger than I am, I think us getting surgery when we're in our 30's is really a great thing, because we'll have more years at a higher quality of life.  While there's lots of people in their 20's and 30's posting online, it seems like everyone I see IRL at support groups and so on are in their 50's and 60's.  And everyone of them tell me they're so glad for me that I got the surgery at 39, because if they had it to do over again, they wouldn't have waited so long.  And to be honest, I wish I would've gotten it done 10 years ago.

And the co-morbidities are just waiting to kick in, like you admit.  I am diabetic, but otherwise I have no problems with my heart, kidneys, eyes, nerves, etc.  One of my big reasons for getting it done now was to make sure I didn't develop those other problems. 

And I hope your doctor's office is the same as mine, but when I became a patient, I suddenly had access to their whole support network.  They have been wonderful with answer questions, assuaging fears, and giving me lots of info (not that I hadn't researched it for a LONG time before anyway).  And even if this isn't really true with your office, this and other message boards are great resources for info, reassurance, clarification, and almost anything else you need.

Whether you have surgery or not, good luck to you, but hopefully you're visit with the surgeon helps you. 

--

150 lost and maintaining!

MsBatt
on 11/30/14 11:38 pm

If your appendix ruptured, would it be 'cheating' to have it surgically removed? No? Didn't think so.

Neither is it 'cheating' to have WLS. You have a serious medical problem---morbid obesity. You're having it surgically corrected.

" Other than just eating better I haven't really tried anything." Well, duh---that's what a diet IS, and it's what you MUST do for the rest of your life, after having WLS. Forget the idea that this is somehow cheating, or taking the easy way out. (Not that there's a damned thing wrong with 'easy'.)This is a medical decision, and it sounds to me like you're making it for the right reasons.

Be sure to research ALL your WLS options---LapBand, VSG/Sleeve, RNY/gastric bypass, DS/duodenal switch. Choose the one that best suits how you want to spend the rest of your life.

Most Active