Nervous about my insurance approval!

Valerie G.
on 12/5/14 1:17 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You both really need to read these forums.  There are way too many with the band out here:

Revisions board  

Failed Weight Loss Surgery

WLS Complications

WLS Regrets

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Gwen M.
on 12/5/14 3:47 am
VSG on 03/13/14

#2 - the lap band is removable, but the damage it does to your body is permanent.  There are people here who have had to have them removed but are left with too much damage to revise to the sleeve.  That seems rather scary.  

#4 - 3-4 pounds per week?  LOL.  There might be initial weight loss that's faster, but I'm certainly not seeing 3-4 pounds a week even with the sleeve.  I'm averaging about 2, which is awesome.  Especially since I'm 9 months out.  But, regardless of speed, if you're going to have excess skin, you're going to have excess skin.  Rate of weight loss has NO impact on this.  

#5 - Every surgery requires work.  No surgery is a magic pill that fixes things with no work from us.  There are no options that "do it for us."  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sweetish
on 12/5/14 12:57 am
RNY on 12/12/14

I agree with Kim about your surgery selection.  My surgeon didn't recommend this type of surgery for me because it requires A LOT of maintenance-(tightening of the band constantly or adjusting it).  Plus, what Kim stated, there are complications associated with it more so,  than the other types of surgeries.  I can just tell you that I have attended several of my support groups and I hear from a lot of band patients that say that they're going back for either a revision or they have started back to attending support meetings because the band just isn't working like they hoped it would.

*Also, I have to tell you that I have BC/BS of PA and my insurance coordinator submitted my paperwork and we got an approval the very next day.  Do you have any weight related complications?  Sleep apnea, diabetes, etc?  Those, I feel, definately helped my case.  

GOOD LUCK!

rwington1
on 12/8/14 10:36 pm - fort lauderdale , FL

you have a better chance going for the sleeve

Phat_girl_38
on 12/4/14 5:55 am
VSG on 10/13/14

Please-Please research your decision very well - I have heard a lot of horror stories about the band - my surgeon really tries to avoid doing them at all... Good luck whatever you chose.

Phat_Girl_38  / HW: 319 (Pre-op Wt: 292) SW: 282  GW: 165  Surgery Date: 10/13/2014

shayjay91
on 12/4/14 6:00 am - CA
On December 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM Pacific Time, Phat_girl_38 wrote:

Please-Please research your decision very well - I have heard a lot of horror stories about the band - my surgeon really tries to avoid doing them at all... Good luck whatever you chose.

The surgeon Im going with doesn't even do them anymore. He has had to remove close to 30 the last couple weeks.

Amber K.
on 12/4/14 6:08 am, edited 12/4/14 6:08 am

Thats really scary! My surgeon does them weekly and only has removed 2 in the past  year I think is what he said. I chose this method because I know a few people with them and they havne't had any complications and swear by them.

I hadn't really found any horror stories about them online while I was researching them. But I think I will double check that now!

Dejah H.
on 12/4/14 6:55 am - Central, TX

I'm sure you can find horror stories about all weight loss procedures. Good luck with whatever you choose.

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

Dawn W.
on 12/4/14 7:02 am

I have BCBS of ND and my requirements are the same. My paperwork was just submitted yesterday. Now I hurry up & wait for my answer. 

Amber K.
on 12/4/14 7:39 am

Good luck!!! I hope you get approved~!

Most Active