Denture Wear'rs

huskergalWsD
on 12/4/14 6:18 am

I am now facing getting Dentures. My dentist said I will have most of my teeth removed and will have to get full dentures on top and wants me to get just partials on the bottom.

I want full dentures on top and bottom. Dentist said the bottom dentures don't stay in place . My mother had both upper and lower dentures since the age of 30. So I grew up watching her how she took care of them and wore them. I didn't see her having any issues with them staying in place both upper and lower plates. She would eat corn on the cob just fine, never seen her eat any apples though. My teeth have gotten black from the side effects of Plavix. I have to stay on Plavix for the rest of my life. My teeth are getting worse and worse.

Are there any denture wear'rs that have gotten full dentures or just Top plates and lower partials. I want to know how to go about this. Once all my teeth are all out They wont grow back. I'm having a hard time thinking there is problems having both upper and lower dentures.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Hislady
on 12/4/14 7:22 am - Vancouver, WA

I have upper dentures and my own teeth on the bottom. My uppers give me nothing but problems, I can't even chew with them. I would suggest the newer type dentures that are attatched to a post that is implanted in your jaw. Then the denture snaps onto that, It costs more but I have a friend who got both uppers and lowers done that way and she is really happy with hers. My hubby didn't want to spend the extra money for it but I sure wish we had. I've had my dentures for several months and they still don't fit right.

huskergalWsD
on 12/4/14 7:32 am

that's what I fear, I have heard some and too many stories about dentures not fitting right.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)

cheyenne000
on 12/4/14 3:56 pm
VSG on 03/25/16

I have an upper full plate and lower partial, I would suggest you try a partial first and then you will have a better out look on why they recommend you save a couple anchor teeth. I had to have mine out 24 years ago and glad I took the partial on the bottom

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

huskergalWsD
on 12/4/14 7:30 pm

Dentist said the lowers don't stay in place more so than the uppers. I cant help but still remember my mother having no problem with either the upper or lower denture.

dungerer
on 12/7/14 3:47 am

I have had uppers and lowers for years now. The dentist is a family friend. He told me my gums will swell up after having the teeth pulled. As soon as my teeth were pulled he put my new dentures in right away. The only time I was to take them out was to clean. The purpose of this was to keep the swelling down. After a few months of dealing with the swelling he told me my gums will continue to shrink over the years and there may be a few times I have to go back and have them re-lined. The first year seemed to be the hardest and going back and forth to the dentist to get them right. It's been a breeze after that. I don't have to use glue or anything to keep them in. The only thing is I can not bite into an apple, but to my understanding there isn't very many who can.

Good luck and I hope this has helped some.

NYMom222
on 12/5/14 12:13 am
RNY on 07/23/14

While your Mother may have had a good experience she may have been more the exception than the rule. I would listen to your Dentist, I am sure he is saying it from experience.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active