Will I EVER Get There?

MrsVonZipper
on 12/5/14 9:21 pm

I began my journey towards WLS in JULY 2014 with a BMI of 54. My insurance (BCBS) requires 6 months doctor-supervised diet (what a waste of time-I can LOSE weight...I just can't keep it off!) BCBS was REQUIRED to cover WLS by my employer, and every obstacle they can throw in your way-they DO! My surgeon has many requirements also, which I have met in full. My hope was to have RNY before the end of this year-before my insurance/co-pays/deductible skyrockets in 2015. Due to slowed approval/Christmas vacations by insurance provider and surgeon's office staff, that is impossible. So now I'm faced with a seemingly impossible financial burden to overcome too! I'm concerned that all these preparations will 'expire' before I can meet co-pay/deductible! I've been stubbornly determined to fulfill each requirement, but I'm SO disappointed and heartsick over this last one. Will my dream of a more normal, healthy life ever come true? Thanks for listening.

Patty

Eggface
on 12/6/14 12:47 am, edited 12/6/14 12:50 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I'm so sorry you are dealing with roadblocks in getting healthy. I know they have "reasons" for the hoops but truly... having people wait as they get sicker seems counterproductive. I feel ya.

I will say this hopefully it will make you feel a little better... IT IS WORTH IT ALL. Every hoop and every $.

I self paid out of the country (long story) so I feel ya on the financial burden too. My 1997 car needs to run forever ;) 

Sending you good vibes you will soon be living and loving your new healthy life!! 

~Michelle "Shelly"

P.S. I had a BMI of 54.5 we're twinsies ;) LOL

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

MrsVonZipper
on 12/6/14 8:04 am

Thank you for the encouragement and 'good vibes' Shelly. I'm a stubborn ole' gal-so I'll find a way somehow. The other hurdles have served to strengthen my resolve...this one will too. It just takes some time to process the disappointment! And, while I'm waiting, the insurance company will have spent a large percentage of the cost of RNY for my medications, etc. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it? (not) Thanks again-

Patty

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/6/14 2:53 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

So sorry you're jumping thru all these hoops, hopefully everything will work out in the end. I also had to go thru the supervised weight loss required by my insurance for 4 months, then there's all the tests, etc, but I'm so glad I went thru with it.

Hang in there!, at least you have insurance that pays for it, many posters here paid out of pocket, even going to a different country to get it cuz it's so expensive here. It's little consolation but think of it as an investment in yourself & that's priceless! Good luck, we all strive for normal, you'll get there too!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

MrsVonZipper
on 12/7/14 7:36 am

You are so right! Surgery would be impossible for me without insurance coverage, that's for sure. And even though I've complained at the six month process, it has allowed me to learn so much about myself, my goals and how I want to get there. Thank you so much for your support!

Patty

Laura in Texas
on 12/6/14 11:02 am

Seven years ago I was in your shoes. I had BCBS and was jumping through the same hoops. My BMI was 53. I had high blood pressure, a bad back, bad knees, and could barely walk upstairs without feeling like I was going to have a heart attack. I had two small children who needed me here to raise them to adulthood. I knew I needed weight loss surgery to help me get my life back. I had RNY in September 2008. Now my BMI is 22. Life is so much better. Not perfect, but being normal in size makes it so much easier to deal with the stresses thrown at me. I am thankful everyday.

It sounds like you have made your decision. Make a plan and find a way to get it done. You can do this!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MrsVonZipper
on 12/7/14 7:44 am

Wow Laura! You are living what I aspire to achieve. I'm back to my old self after a few days of pity party. Worst thing BCBS ever did was throw up too many obstacles-never tell my Daddy's daughter she CAN'T do something! Thank you for your support!

Patty

Han Shot First
on 12/7/14 10:03 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

It really stinks jumping through all these hoops.  Especially since the surgery will probably save the insurance company money.  I can't find the link now, of course, but I read that if you're diabetic, the insurance company will recover costs and start saving money within 2-4 years after WLS.  You didn't say if you were diabetic, but let's face it:  pretty much everyone who qualifies for WLS through weight alone is at a really high risk of developing diabetes and other co-morbidities. 

Having to wait until 2015 sucks, but it'll still be worth it! 

--

150 lost and maintaining!

MrsVonZipper
on 12/8/14 6:33 am

BCBS could have paid for my surgery many times over in the years they fought covering weight loss surgery. Yes, I'm a diabetic, have been for almost 30 years. The cost of my medications ALONE in the past six months would have paid a substantial amount of the surgery! Makes no sense to me, that's for sure. Thanks WC. I'm going to make sure 2015 is MY year!

Patty

Most Active