Hot mustard like McDonalds?

Han Shot First
on 12/13/14 1:07 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I've been craving some Hot Mustard sauce from McDonalds, but when I looked at the packet, the second ingredient was High Fructose Corn Syrup!  I don't know why it surprised me.  

Does anyone know of another hot mustard that might taste similar?  Or a good recipe?  I know there's a lot of spicy mustards out there, but I'd really like to get that McDonalds taste without the massive amount of sugar.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Chilipepper
on 12/13/14 1:23 am

Sounds like a classic trigger food.  You may stray, food by association. Stop and course correct. Find something else to nibble on. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 12/13/14 2:07 am, edited 12/13/14 2:21 am
VSG on 01/11/16

I am assuming you want to use it as a condiment and not squirt the packet into your mouth..the hot mustard that comes with our Chinese takeout order is okay, but I don't know the calories on it. I like hickory farms sweet hot mustard, it's got sugar in the ingredients.. serving size of HF's is 1 teaspoon, 10 calories, 2 carbs, 1 sugar.. so be careful with it, the calories will add up. 

Wonder how water mixed into mustard powder would taste? hm, time to experiment! 

Han Shot First
on 12/13/14 4:46 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Good thoughts.  I ended up having a couple of quick dips in the packet, and that was all.  I was really disappointed that the packet had 6 sugars in it.  Let me know the results of the experiment!

--

Han Shot First
on 12/13/14 4:47 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Good thoughts.  I ended up having a couple of quick dips, and that was all.  I was really disappointed that the packet was about 56 calories and 6 sugars.  Let me know how the experiment goes!

--

Chilipepper
on 12/13/14 4:46 am

I never assumed he wanted to squirt it in his mouth.  I enjoyed it on chicken nuggets.  Still a trigger food for me. Many years later. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Cathy W.
on 12/13/14 5:48 am

I'm not a hot mustard fan but I really liked McDonald's Hot Mustard Sauce.  When I checked the ingredients and saw the High Fructose Corn Syrup as the second ingredient, I knew why I liked it.  LOL but true.

Good luck on finding another one.

marymo362
on 12/13/14 8:31 am
RNY on 03/18/14

I make my own with powdered mustard,water and a squirt of tabasco. yum yum

H/W: 312 S/W: 280 C/W: 196 Surgery date: 3/18/2014

MAchick
on 12/14/14 7:33 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I love Dijon mustard!  Check specific brands, but usually not much carbs at all and good flavor. 

Hislady
on 12/15/14 8:24 am - Vancouver, WA

Mustard is a good condiment in general jus****ch the sugar. I bet if you google hot mustard recipes you'll find many of them, just try making some from scratch and you can control the sugar. Good luck!

Most Active