Thinning hair

Amy K.
on 12/14/14 9:44 am - Tucson, AZ

my hair is getting so thin and dry.  Every day I'm losing handfuls. I take biotin 2x each day. I was told this could happen, but didn't realize how bad it would be! Thinking of trying horse shampoo. Any other suggestions are welcome! TIA!

amy

High Weight: 264, BMI 46.8, Surgery Date: July 1, 2014, weight 227, BMI 40.2

NYMom222
on 12/14/14 10:01 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Some people in my support group use Nioxin.. I think its some kind of shampoo/conditioner system. That being said, no one in my support group is bald. It comes back.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

kathkeb
on 12/14/14 10:50 am

You can spend a lot of money trying different things, but unfortunately, it is a side effect of anesthesia for many of us .... And it grows back on its own ..... Mine came back thicker than it was.

Mostly, you have to just ride it out.

Kath

Amy K.
on 12/14/14 11:03 am - Tucson, AZ

Thank you. Now that you mention the anesthesia that makes sense. I had another surgery just 4 weeks ago and since the thinning has become much worse.  

High Weight: 264, BMI 46.8, Surgery Date: July 1, 2014, weight 227, BMI 40.2

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/14/14 10:52 am - OH

Unfortunately, biotin doesn't help with hair loss. It might help with regrowth, but there isn't even any solid evidence for that.  

There also really isn't anything you can do to prevent the hair loss, but it is important to get enough protein and vitamins so that a deficiency doesn't make it any worse.  You can Google telogen effluvium to understand what it is and why nothing stops it.

The dryness is because you aren't eating enough fat.  (You will probably also start to notice dry skin as well, and many people who maintain an extremely low fat diet also have more trouble with constipation.)  Your body needs SOME fats.  So, you can either start adding in a small amount of healthy fats (e.g., some nuts) or use a deep moisturizing conditioner every time you shampoo.

Hang in there.  It is temporary.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Arandles
on 12/14/14 12:08 pm

I had hair loss due to thyroid issues a few years ago and started nixoxin system.  It's expensive, but I still use it bc it's that good.  It takes a while to see results, but my hair came back and thicker too.  Look it up, it won't regrow hair, but it helps you keep the hair you have.  

White Dove
on 12/14/14 12:59 pm - Warren, OH

Three years after surgery I was still painfully thin on top of my head.  My hairstylist recommended Nioxin so strongly that she went and bought it and gave it to me so I would try it.   My hair was growing but dry, weak, brittle and breaking off at the scalp. 

I saw a remarkable improvement with the Nioxin system after a few months.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Tracy D.
on 12/15/14 3:14 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Telogen effluvium....Google it.  It happens to most of us but some (like me) suffer worse than others.  I took biotin and a bunch of other supplements months before surgery and faithfully after surgery.  I always got in all my protein and did everything right.  I used Nioxin too.  And I still lost over half of my hair.  Months 5-8 were the WORST!   

Don't waste your money on any of the pricey shampoos or miracle cures.  I use Toppik to this day to cover the light spots - it really helps!  And get yourself a good hairstylist who can cut the hair you have in a cute style to disguise what's going on.  And don't underestimate wearing a hat or wig! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active