pre-op help

tstefl1
on 12/20/14 3:25 am - Spokane Valley, WA
RNY on 01/19/15

I received the call that my surgery is set for 1/19/15 yes!  I'm so excited but scared also.... my question is I'm worried about the 2 week pre-op liquid diet. I'm getting mixed notes on what I can and can not eat. I'm told it can be clear liquids only with no sugar....but the protein shakes have some sugar in them and I don't think they are clear.....Can any one give me heads up on what and how they did it and how much. I would like to get all the stuff ahead of time so I don't have to go into a store at the 2 weeks. I have figured out all of my vitamins. Would love any advice at all with this journey to a new life. Thanks

Deana_
on 12/20/14 4:14 am

My plan allowed for 3-4 protein drinks a day. broth, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles also 1 cup of veggies if i wanted them with a fat free dressing.

Thats it. Oh, also milk :)

tstefl1
on 12/20/14 8:10 am - Spokane Valley, WA
RNY on 01/19/15

Thank you, it gives me some ideals to put together. ;p

Kate -True Brit
on 12/20/14 4:52 am - UK

Not trying to be unhelpful, but really we CAN'T help.  There are as many different pre-op plans as there are hospitals doing the surgery. You need to get precise details from your doctor. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

tstefl1
on 12/20/14 8:14 am - Spokane Valley, WA
RNY on 01/19/15

I know there are a lot of different plans. As per instructed by my surgical group was to go on a HELPFUL site and get different options of what worked and didn't work for people and them put one together for myself. I have to take it in with me at my pre-op apt and go over it and see what needs to be adjusted. So I was just asking for some advise from people of what worked for them. Thank you.

Kate -True Brit
on 12/20/14 3:26 pm - UK
On December 20, 2014 at 4:14 PM Pacific Time, tstefl1 wrote:

I know there are a lot of different plans. As per instructed by my surgical group was to go on a HELPFUL site and get different options of what worked and didn't work for people and them put one together for myself. I have to take it in with me at my pre-op apt and go over it and see what needs to be adjusted. So I was just asking for some advise from people of what worked for them. Thank you.

This is a helpful  site and I was not trying to be unhelpful! You wrote that you were getting mixed messages from your doctor and wanted our suggestions. Most doctors give very clear advice about what you can and can't eat pre-op and expect you to follow that so I had not realised yours wanted you to get the advice of online strangers. I still think that you should ask him/her to clarify what he/she meant by clear liquids, types of protein drink etc.. 

i didn't have any pre-op diet. I am sure other will make suggestions for you. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

tstefl1
on 12/20/14 4:56 pm - Spokane Valley, WA
RNY on 01/19/15

I see what your saying and I agree with you. I have my apt 1/2 to go over what my plan will be. I have to start 1/5 of the liquid diet before my surgery, and yes I do agree this site is very helpful and is one of the best that I have been on. I'm open to all suggestions so thank you for your input also. :-) 

Scot
on 12/20/14 2:28 pm - Woodinville, WA
RNY on 12/10/14

Congratulations!

A poster above me is right: You absolutely should confirm with your doctor, but my experience was that the clear liquids were for the first 2 days of recovery. Once I got home, I moved into "Phase 2" where the shakes and broth were introduced, which is the stage I'm still in (RNY was 12/10).

Best of luck to you!

tstefl1
on 12/20/14 5:02 pm - Spokane Valley, WA
RNY on 01/19/15

Thank you Yes, agree....will get more answers on the 2nd. to figure out what exactly what they want me to eat (or not eat)

NYMom222
on 12/20/14 5:01 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

It definitely wasn't a clear liquid diet. I was allowed 3 shakes a day (No more than 200calories, 5g sugar and at least 20g protein) and one meal of protein and either veggies or salad. 2 fruits per day also.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active