Hesitant to post this but...

DelilahJO
on 12/22/14 10:14 am

so I had my sleeve in May. My decision has been to not reincorporate bread rice pasta etc back into my diet. Now there has been an exception I have made however they were instances where I planned ahead of time gave myself a limit (i.e. I had three bites of cake at my daughters bday party) and I have been fine with my decisions. I thought thanksgiving would have been difficult and it surprisingly was not. Well about a week ago I made christmas cookies with my kids. Big trigger for me. I had told myself I wouldn't have one. Well I didn't succeed I ate a couple bites of one. Ever sine I have just been upset with myself and such. I know I'm not going to win every battle, none of us are. I decided with my husband from now on that will be his task with our kids. Christmas gatherings with families the past few days have been hard on me! I don't get it because thanksgiving went so well. Just looking for advice i suppose. 

Gwen M.
on 12/22/14 10:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My advice is to forgive yourself.  If you can't forgive yourself, my advice is to find a therapist to help you.  One cookie isn't going to break your ability to reach goal or to stay there once you do.  But beating yourself up can lead to a sneaky spiral of hate that sucks you into it and doesn't let go.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/14 10:58 am
GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 12/22/14 1:15 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Life and food can be difficult especially during the holidays. As Gwen said,  forgive yourself and move on.  It's not what you do on a single day that makes you successful; it's the long term lifestyle changes that are a better indicator. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

White Dove
on 12/22/14 1:22 pm - Warren, OH

I make myself delicious sugar-free, flour free cookies, cakes, and muffins.  I use flaxseed meal, almond flour, eggs, sugar free pudding mix, vanilla, and sugar free syrups.  There are recipes on the internet.  Check out Eggface's site for inspiration.

There were many meals that were only composed of something sweet.  I made sure I used enough protein to make that possible.  I also made protein ice cream every day for several years.  I never gave up desserts, but often had a big bowl of protein ice cream instead of lunch. 

I became very good at fixing things that looked and tasted like the real thing.  I never felt deprived when others are eating cookies and I am having a frosted chocolate fudge brownie cake made with my allowed ingredients.  I make a savory cheese garlic muffin in a minute to eat with fish.  My white cake with vanilla frosting is great.  I also love a sponge cakey muffin in a minute that I top with fresh strawberries and sugar free Cool Whip.  My chocolate chip cookie phase lasted for a long time. 

I rarely make my treats for others.  They are welcome to eat what they want.  I make my special concoctions for my enjoyment and never feel deprived.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kate -True Brit
on 12/22/14 4:25 pm - UK

You are being too hard on yourself. People come here and get flamed for continually breaking away from good eating but not for an occasional small lapse. 

I don't imagine there are many of us on here who haven't lapsed. I certainly have. My purely personal view is that FOR ME total deprivation of anything doesn't work. So I have always allowed myself treats. For me, deprivation makes me obsess about a food. If you were someone for whom one mouthful led to a binge, then you need to stay steer ciear, but you clearly aren't.

feeling guilty is a waste of emotion, 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Mary Gee
on 12/22/14 5:12 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

^^^ Kate's right, as well as Gwen, Mo and WD.  Don't beat yourself up over a bite or two of a cookie.  It's over and done with.  Now, if you were constantly taking bites, or bits and pieces on a regular basis, that would be different.

I guess you have two choices - stay 100% away from the sweets, or do like others have done, incorporate WLS friendly sweets into your program - like WD does. Eggface has great recipes for protein ice cream, protein bars, etc. on her site.

I have been experimenting with new shake concoctions (bought about six different s/f syrups from Torano and Davinci) and now I'm reviewing recipes and buying ingredients for marinades and sauces.  Went to Trader Joe's and treated myself to a few of their specialty items.  Just bought a vegetable Spiralizer to make zucchini noodles.  I was getting bored with eating the same old, same old every day and felt like I needed to "shake things up" a bit.  It takes time and effort to stay on track - it's a slippery slope.

You've got this DelilahJo!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

jastypes
on 12/23/14 1:10 am - Croydon, PA

Some of us struggle with the disease of compulsive overeating, and have a sort of allergy to specific foods.  I cannot safely eat sugar because it sets off a craving for more, and my consumption shows a progressive increase if I take that first bite.  It's like the alcoholic with alcohol.  I choose to abstain for sugar because I do not like what it does to me.  I take one bite, and before I know it, I am eating against my will.  I use the program of Overeaters Anonymous to help me stay accountable and on track. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Zee Starrlite
on 12/23/14 1:22 am

Just hug yourself and begin again!!!

Merry Christmas Delilah!!!  Be kind to you!

Laylah

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

sjkduke
on 12/23/14 1:25 am - VA
VSG on 12/18/14

Maybe you needed that slip up to know whether or not you wanted to stay bread/rice/pasta free?  Or maybe it was your way of completely testing your boundaries, since you handled thanksgiving well.  You should be very proud of yourself!  Sounds like you've done an amazing job of staying strong and staying within your limits.

Sarah

SW 250 CW 229

Most Active