New Year's Eve Surgery

SKmammabear
on 12/28/14 12:39 am

I'm so excited!  There was a cancellation and I was able to get my name slipped into the slot for New Year's Eve!  So...  all you experienced peeps out there, what do you recommend I take to the hospital to make my recovery easier...  Ideas and suggestions please!

sunnkistme
on 12/28/14 12:55 am

Slippers or slipper socks, gas x strips, panties, carmex or chapstick, moisturizer, baby wipes for a quick clean up if they do not let you shower, and super comfy clothes to wear home. I was glad I did not bother taking a robe as they are so bulky and you can not use them with the IV anyway - they just put a gown on to cover your back side.   People who take a lot always say they did not use it.  Oh and a charger for your cell phone and an extension cord in case the outlet is in an awkward place.  

GOOD LUCK!

SKmammabear
on 12/28/14 12:58 am

great suggestions!  I would never have thought about an extension cord...  where do you get gas x strips??

CindyLu71
on 12/28/14 1:09 am - TX

gas x strips are at Walmart, and most drug stores. 

sunnkistme
on 12/28/14 1:09 am

In the stomach care aisle at the pharmacy or Walmart.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/28/14 1:34 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

What a great way to start the new year!   The suggestions were great - but if you take nothing, the hospital will give you non-skid sock/booties and almost anything else you need.  The most important item for me was to know there was someone there for me when I was out of it, and to be there when I woke up after surgery.  I had my surgery 3 days before Christmas, (a total of 6 days ago).  If you are only in for one night - you will be home before you know it.  In addition to my main support person, it helped me to have a few visitors who did not stay very long. They helped me return to normal.  Best wishes.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/28/14 4:00 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Chapstick was the best thing to have post op.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/28/14 4:14 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Don't forget a pillow for the ride home! Allthough the hospital said they would've given me a pillow anyway. Gas x strips  generally didn't help since the gas will be in your intestines, not your stomach, walking was the only way to get it moving out your system. So if you get them, just get the travel size, same thing for purell, hand wipes, lotion, deodorant.

I wore those shoes that are like clogs, just something to slip on so you won't have to bend over. I wore the same clothes home that I wore to the hospital, very loose fitting clothes. Those first few days you're only gonna want to sleep anyway. Good Luck & speedy recovery! 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

SKmammabear
on 12/28/14 8:20 am

Thanks!  I forgot about the pillow thing, I had heard/read it before but forgot about it.  Good thing I'm asking about this stuff now.  I just got a brand new pair of slippers that have outdoor-type soles so I was planning on taking those as well as not worrying about extra clothes. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/28/14 4:19 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I had my surgery on New Year's Eve last year.  It was the most wonderful date for surgery -- because it really was the beginning of an entirely new life.  Congratulations on your upcoming surgery, and to answer your question: I really didn't need anything I brought except my iPhone and chapstick.  Everything else was a waste.  My nurse made me a pillow for the ride home -- it was super firm because it was made from hospital covers folded tightly in a pillow case -- so much better than my soft pillow.  My nurse was awesome.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active