Big day!

mike324-190
on 12/29/14 1:28 am
RNY on 12/30/14

I am less than 24 hours until surgery. I am so very nervous. I will be the first operation of the day tomorrow, so I will get connected to the good meds right away. ;-) I am looking forward to waking up afterwards, to see my wife and daughter's beautiful faces. 

My nervousness is coming from the fact that I have never really tried to lose weight before. I have given it an effort, but never my whole effort like this time. I have already lost 40lbs. I am not sure I "Need" this. The doctors call it "Medically necessary" but I don't know if it is really medically necessary, or if they just say that to get the insurance company to pay for it. 

Am I just nervous, having last minute jitters? I don't know... My anxiety is through the roof.

Gwen M.
on 12/29/14 1:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm similar to you.  Unlike many here, I hadn't spent my whole life in the diet/regain cycle.  But I started lifestyle change in January and had surgery in March.  I lost about 25 pounds during that period but I never thought "yeah, I can do this without surgery."  Because I knew that having surgery was the only reason I was sticking to the lifestyle change pre-op in the first place.  Surgery, for me, was the reward - the light at the end of the tunnel.  It was the motivation I needed to stick to lifestyle change.  Because hell if I'm going to go through surgery only to fail myself by not changing my lifestyle!  

So, for me, the surgery was what I needed to motivate myself to change my life.  Of course the surgery has helped me to stick with those changes, but I'm not going to lie to myself and believe I could have done this without surgery as a motivator.  I never did before, after all.  

And now I'm down over 120 pounds for the year.  I've spent over 300 hours exercising since surgery in March.  I've run over 200 miles since surgery.  If surgery was what I needed to make these changes, then it was worth every single cut, stitch, and suture.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mike324-190
on 12/29/14 1:55 am
RNY on 12/30/14

Gwen,

Thank you! that was just what I needed to hear. Maybe that is what my motivation is.

Doll1964
on 12/29/14 6:40 am - Wichita, KS
VSG on 02/26/15

I am so glad to see your reply to Mike.  This is exactly my feelings on why I am doing this surgery.  I have my schedule for February 26, 2015 and I cannot wait.  I have also spent my entire life losing, gain, losing and gaining and I really need that final motivation to know that this is it.  I cannot wait for my surgery and the start of my journey.  I have never been so excited about losing weight because I have never had the feeling that I won't gain it back.  Thank you!!!

Kathy S.
on 12/29/14 2:32 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Mike

Congratulations on your surgery tomorrow!  

Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kate D.
on 12/29/14 2:51 am, edited 12/29/14 3:05 am

You will do awesome!! I was a nervous WRECK when I went in... I was shaking and crying and everything, but really for no reason. My surgeon and doctors and nurses were wonderful. Dont be scared or nervous, this is a GOOD thing... no, a GREAT thing! This is for YOU think of it that way! Don't think of it as a medical neccesity, think of it as a beautiful life changing experience :) :)

Qajohn
on 12/29/14 3:12 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

You got this. 

After a while, you'll start asking why you didn't do this years ago.

ANGELINA6501
on 12/29/14 3:41 am
VSG on 12/16/14

It is normal to be nervous, just hang in there and take it one moment at a time. If you need help with the anxiety, maybe your doc will give you a little something to help you. I'm sure if you ask, they will get you what you need! Good Luck tomorrow! You will do great!!

~Angela

VSG 12/16/2014   HW: 309 / SW: 280 / CW: 226

White Dove
on 12/29/14 5:14 am - Warren, OH

Since you did not spend your life dieting you have not learned that weight lost without surgery will be back as quickly as it left

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

mike324-190
on 12/29/14 5:46 am
RNY on 12/30/14

I just had my last pre-op appointment this morning with my Dr's PA. He answered my questions and put me at ease in knowing that what is stated above is true and correct, about the chance of me keeping the weight off being very slim with only diet and exercise, and with the surgery being very high. He addressed all of my other questions, and I feel much better now. He asked if I was sure I wanted to do this. I told him I am ready. He said are you sure again? I said YES! I wish I would have done it last week, so I could already be in recovery, and be over my anxiety. HE said OK then, we'll get you there in the morning. Go home and get some rest and relax.

So I am waiting for a prescription from my PCP for some lorazepam to take the edge off, and then I am going to go in and lay down.

Thank you all for your replies! I really do appreciate it.

Most Active