So Bummed! I gained

Cheriebabie
on 1/3/15 3:24 am

So up till now for the first 3 weeks I have been loosing about 1 lb per day.  Today I go step on the scale for my weekly weigh in and am shocked to see not only have I not lost anything but actually GAINED 1 pound!  I expected the weight loss would slow down but not gain weight.  All this while I am increasing the resistance & speed on my recumbent bike for my daily exercise.  Any suggestions? 

VSG surgery date (12/08/14) 5'3" Female age 55 - 255 (HW) 247 (start wt) 234 (PreOp) 186 (CW) 

Kathy S.
on 1/3/15 4:22 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Cheriebabie,

Don't let the scale be your only definition for success. If you are starting to work out that is success.  When I first started working out I showed gains on the scales but I felt stronger and could see a difference in my clothes. You are only 3 weeks out so it may take a bit for you to feel and see the difference.  If you are staying true to you're eating plan, keep going you will see the numbers on the scales go down.  Keep us posted

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

MegZorar
on 1/3/15 5:03 am

Your body might be reacting to your increasing the resistance and speed. It's weird like that. I gained weight one week after killlllling it in the gym (at least it felt like I'd killed it. LOL. In my own mind )

It's frustrating to have a drastic surgical procedure, put in sweat equity, eat tiny portions and STILL see the scale move in the wrong direction. But so far, it seems the gains are just weird exceptions to the main rule: The program works if you stick to it.

Hang in there! You're doing exceptionally well.

STB
on 1/3/15 5:42 am
RNY on 07/21/14

You may be building muscle which weighs more than fat so measurements and clothes size are more true to what you are accomplishing. Stay the course and you will get there. Some weeks I would do so well following the plan and the scale would show no weight loss or a gain. As long as you are doing what you are supposed to, no worries!

SHARON  

kathkeb
on 1/3/15 8:20 am

Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat.

1 pound of muscle equals 1 pound of fat equals 1 pounds of cheese, or pennies or peanuts.

Muscle takes up less space than fat ..... But a pound equals a pound.

Kath

Gwen M.
on 1/3/15 5:49 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Daily fluctuations are a punk.  Stick to your plan and you'll reach your goals.  Try to focus on the trend of your weight loss instead of the daily number.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/3/15 6:33 am - OH

It is almost certainly just a natural fluctuation in fluid levels in your body.  We all go through these fluctuations (and always HAVE), but you are now sensitive to every single pound.  Don't sweat it (or this will be a very long, stressful journey for you).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cheriebabie
on 1/3/15 6:48 am

Thank you all for the words of encouragement.  I have not hit the gym yet because I wanted to just stick with cardio in the beginning for that very reason that muscle is heavier than fat but at the same time muscle ups the metabolism and burns fat.  I am only weighing weekly on the same time and day each week because I am aware that daily weight fluctuates.  Still the one pound gained is small in comparison the the 20.5 I have lost since the surgery PLUS the 13 I lost prior to surgery.  I have begun to take a monthly selfie and measurements monthly so I can track progress across the board rather than just on the scale.  I am not about to give up for sure but cant wait to attend my first support group and have yet to see my surgeon for a post surgery follow up so I guess I'm feeling a bit alone in this.  

Thanks to all of you I do feel a bit better, thanks again for the feedback.  On Monday it will be 4 weeks since the surgery.

VSG surgery date (12/08/14) 5'3" Female age 55 - 255 (HW) 247 (start wt) 234 (PreOp) 186 (CW) 

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/15 9:48 pm

Is it possible that your scale inaccurate?  I ask because i have tried several different ones and always seem to have the same problem....  i could try ten times and get ten different readings.  Is there such a thing as a good one?

VSG on 06/12/13

I was driving myself to distraction on the scale early on. My surgeon wisely told me, "our bodies are not machines", in other words, input does not necessarily = output.

When I look at my weight loss graph, it's a series of zig-zaggy lines that trend downward over time. Some days were up, some were level and others were down. As long as the long term line is downward, you are winning.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Most Active