Horror Story or Normal?

denyray1
on 1/7/15 11:22 pm

I have been off work for 7 weeks and I want so badly for my life to go back to normal! I had VSG surgery on 11/18 and have not hit my protein or fluid goals ONCE since surgery. I was admitted to the hospital for dehydration a couple weeks ago and as soon as I left I went right back to not getting enough of anything in. I have Barrett's esophagus and the acid is physically painful every time I eat or drink. I have doubled the omeprazole and it is still horrible. I went to the grocery store the other day and just from walking around for about an hour I came home a slept for 14 hours straight. I was that exhausted. I have no energy and just feel lethargic. I know it's because I'm not getting enough in, but I feel repulsed by most food and forget protein shakes. I am also overly emotional about everything. Is any of this normal or am I losing my mind?

Raze
on 1/7/15 11:45 pm, edited 1/7/15 11:45 pm

sounds 1 part horror, 1 part normal, and 1 part you

congrats, you've got a trifecta 

take it easy on yourself, ok? 

IMO

Poodlemac
on 1/7/15 11:49 pm, edited 1/8/15 1:46 am
RNY on 09/26/14

Just my opinion, but not eating 10,000 calories a day IS NOT the reason you are lethargic. Dehydration can make energy wain, of course, but I believe you are lethargic because a you are still not being active and getting back to life. You will not be non-functional because your are not getting ALL your fluids or meals. Sounds to me like you might should see a therapist, as perhaps you are depressed. NOTHING about walking for an hour in a grocery store should make you sleep for 14 hours. In fact, nothing should make you feel that way.  I was grocery walking 4 days after surgery, and back to work full time, standing on my feet, in 2 weeks.  I know we are all different, but I think you have got to MAKE yourself get active. Also, I too had Barrett's esophagus and it had begun to become precancerous. Very scary. I had hoped for VSG, but was told by my doctors that it can exacerbate reflux and RNY would be a better choice of surgery for me. I could go completely without my Nexium now and was taking at least 2 a day pre surgery. I still take 1  (when I remember****il my doctor will recheck for Barretts in April.  I also have a big problem getting all my fluids, but I sip every chance I get.  water is the hardest thing for me  it hurts every time I drink it.

You can do this!  Gotta make it happen. Life won't come take us by the hand to where we need to be. 

Tracy D.
on 1/8/15 12:55 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

What does your doctor say about this?  No, it's not what I would consider "normal" but it's also not unheard of.  Itdefinitely IS something to be concerned about! 

I have a friend who had VSG and it made her acid situation so bad that she ended up having a revision to RNY.  Could that be you?  Perhaps, but call your doctor's office.  They do not want you malnourished or dehydrated and it sounds like you're dealing with both at this point. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Poodlemac
on 1/8/15 1:40 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I would also talk to the doc about prescription strength Nexium as it is much stronger than the over the counter stuff.  Your Barrett's MUST be controlled as it can become deadly. 

poet_kelly
on 1/8/15 4:09 am - OH

No, I don't think it's normal to be unable to get enough fluid or protein at seven weeks out.  What are you planning to do?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

suzyjoy61
on 1/8/15 7:37 pm
with

Dear denyray1 I had my VSG on 11/7/2014 I have been experiencing some of the same symptoms.I am not able to get my proteins or calories in either.I feel nauseous most of the time,unable to exercise because of severe weakness.I am also freezing cold,I finally realized that my blood sugar was in the 50s when I became cold.I also forget to eat due to no appetite.I am very emotional also and regret having surgery.I have been told by a doctor that it takes about 3 months for this to stabilize.In your case have you thought about a second opinion.Is your doctor giving you something For nausea prior to meals like zofran subligual.Have you spoke with the dietician.I had home care and a dietician from the agency gave me suggestions about different supplements like herbal tea with ginger.I know by now your repulsed with protein shakes but if you don't get enough protein in you break down all muscle mass,even your heart.I buy unjury brand,they even have chicken soup,also unflavored protein and recipes how to make things like jello,pudding and cereal etc.Please let me know how your doing,hang in there.

Kathy S.
on 1/9/15 1:27 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Please post this on the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG) forum also, to reach out to those that have had your surgery type.  Hang in there and work closely with your surgeon.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active