Adipex....kills the cravings anyone try long term weightloss with just a pill?

shakeitoff
on 1/11/15 2:21 am
VSG on 03/09/15

So I saw my mom today and told her I am on the verg of 30 pounds lost in the 1st 30 days of my diet. (1000 calories, 100 carbs or 60 protein whatever total you reach first I am done for the day).  She says can you take the pill and not do the surgery?  I am all geared up for VSG surgery.  Has anyone ever tried long term weight loss with the help of an Dr. prescribed appetite suppressant?  The Adipex has a 6 month limit on it in Ohio.  I go to the surgeon Friday and I will ask just to ease her mind.  Belviq is not an option my family Dr. said with my health the risk of strokes is high.  I myself think VSG is my best hope for long term success.

Valerie G.
on 1/11/15 2:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Think of it this way:

Many people have found great success with the help of prescription meds.  The problem is when they get off of those meds, either because they met their goal or they started encountering medical problems from the meds.  The majority of them start to regain.  So, do you plan on being on this drug forever, or just until you have a stroke?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/11/15 2:34 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Um, yes.

That is phentermine.  I lost weight and gained it all back promptly.  There are multiple side effects -- I had horrible anxiety and insomnia on it. 

The more you have to lose, the faster the weight loss is in the beginning. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

CindyLu71
on 1/11/15 2:38 am - TX

I have done all the pills, all the diets, and the weight always comes back. I took adipex and after a couple of  weeks the effects quit working. It might work for 10-20 pounds, but not for long term. It also makes you nervous, and shaky. I am 62 now, and have been down those roads before. Just my opinion, but for me I needed something that would last. I am sure happy I got my surgery!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/11/15 2:41 am - OH

Sorry, but if any of the weight loss pills worked long term, no one would need WLS!  Just taking pills for a couple of montsh would be a hell of a lot easier tha having your digestive system surgically altered!

I am sure there are MANY people here who tried all sorts of appetite suppressants and stimulants to lose weight.  I did back in the early 1990s. I could stand the physical side effects of them long enough to lose any weight.

They simply don't work long term because 1) you cannot take them long term, 2) people don't make the changes needed to maintain the weight loss once they stop taking them, and 3) very often people don't overeat just because they are physically hungry, and stimulants/supressants don't help you control "head hunger" and emotional/stress eating (but neither will WLS).

They can also be very dangerous, especially if you have certain undiagnosed medical conditions. There is a REASON you cannot be on them for extended periods of time!

I am 52 years old, have been on diets or had friends on diets since I was in Junior High School, and I have never known or even heard of someone who lost weight and heat it off with drugs. Even the one woman I know who used Phen-Phen and developed heart problems (minor, fortunately) didn't keep off the weight she lost for more than about a year.

Your chances of success with the small sleeve from the VSG (which will allow you to control your true hunger) are MUCH higher than with drugs.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Poodlemac
on 1/11/15 2:46 am
RNY on 09/26/14
On January 11, 2015 at 10:21 AM Pacific Time, shakeitoff wrote:

So I saw my mom today and told her I am on the verg of 30 pounds lost in the 1st 30 days of my diet. (1000 calories, 100 carbs or 60 protein whatever total you reach first I am done for the day).  She says can you take the pill and not do the surgery?  I am all geared up for VSG surgery.  Has anyone ever tried long term weight loss with the help of an Dr. prescribed appetite suppressant?  The Adipex has a 6 month limit on it in Ohio.  I go to the surgeon Friday and I will ask just to ease her mind.  Belviq is not an option my family Dr. said with my health the risk of strokes is high.  I myself think VSG is my best hope for long term success.

Yes. That is how I ended up obese and doing WLS.  Will gain it all back, try it again, etc.  Jacks with your metabolism. 

Chilipepper
on 1/11/15 2:51 am

I lost 140 lbs on Phentermine. Gained back 180 when I went off. I didn't sleep the entire time I was on it. 

Pills don't work for long term success

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

shakeitoff
on 1/11/15 2:56 am
VSG on 03/09/15

Thanks for the reply's.  I figured that once the pills stop so would the weight loss and it would come right back on.  I just felt the need to ask.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/11/15 3:56 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I think it's great to ask questions and to check things out. 

Ultimately, trust yourself.  You seem like a pretty smart cookie. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Berryhoosier
on 1/11/15 3:59 am
RNY on 12/17/14

I tried meds twice.  Both times I lost, then when I came off the meds I boomeranged so fast it was crazy. Like most people on here, I tried EVERYTHING over the course of 25 years. This is the first time I'm thinking, "I can do this long term and keep it off." Im only 3 1/2 weeks out, but I already know I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Most Active