Newbie here!

FaithfullyBeth
on 1/15/15 12:55 am

HI everyone!  I'm Beth and have not had surgery yet.  I have been researching and think maybe the sleeve is what I want to do.  I'd love some input from anyone that's willing.  I have put my story on my profile page if you want to jump over and read it but I didnt know if it was too long for here so anyway...Thanks for reading and I hope to make friends here 

Kathy S.
on 1/15/15 3:58 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Beth

Congratulations on taking control of your life and your weight loss journey.   ​ We suggest you research all your options for WLS and OH is the right place for that.  Once you have reviewed your options surgery wise and decided on one then your next step is to find a surgeon.  We can help you with that.     ​​ Here are some links that will be helpful in your research.​​

​If you have not done so, contact your insurance company and verify if they cover WLS and if so what procedures.​  If you have Medicaid and or Medicare, contact them to verify if they cover WLS, if so, what procedures and if there are any pre-surgery qualifications you have to meet.  Ask for a list of surgeons in your area that take your insurance then we can assist you with contacting those surgeons on your behalf to get you started on your journey!  

Let us know if you need anything else.  

PS...if you are interested in the VSG, please post this on the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

StacyJo44
on 1/15/15 4:37 am - MN
RNY on 12/31/14

Hi Beth! Welcome to OH! It's a great place to start your WL journey and has a lot of options for seeking information, tips, advice and support along the way. I sent you a friend request. Feel free to read my profile and blog page and accept if you'd like. I've made a couple of great friends on here and we keep each other going with unprejudiced support and some good humor as well. I'm always open to new friends!

MsBatt
on 1/15/15 4:38 am

Hi, Beth! I'm going to recommend you also research a procedure called the Duodenal Switch (DS). It has the same small but fully-functional stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more aggressive than, that of the RNY/gastric bypass. It's the form of WLS with the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, especially for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It makes a dramatic, permanent change in the way our bodies metabolize food, and looking at what you write about your previous diet attempts, that might be just what you need.

I'm 11 years out from my DS, and I'm still totally 'in love' with it! Research ALL your options before you make your final decision.

beenielady
on 1/15/15 5:02 am

Hi Beth!  I"m a newbie here as well, and I'm still trying to decide between VSG and RNY.  I'm nervous and excited about embarking on this journey.  Maybe we can compare notes along the way :)

FaithfullyBeth
on 1/15/15 7:24 pm

I'm actually on the fence now with my decision as well.  I probably won't know for sure until I talk to my dr but I have really started to consider RNY after reading all the input I have rec'd from this forum.  My sister and niece have both had a successful RNY as well do it might just be the best solution for me as well. Still digging :). Glad to have a surgery buddy to talk to about it. Thank you :)

Shan5311
on 1/23/15 8:47 am

Hi !!  I am also new to this process!!  I asked my doctor for a referral to a weight loss doctor thinking I would be in a medical weight loss program due to having Type 1 diabetes my whole life.   I had read that very few places will do WLS on type 1 diabetics.  Much to my surprise, the surgeon at the clinic says he does them all the time and works closely with my endo.   I had my second appointment today and he said he recommends the bypass with my diabetes.  Also that's the only procedure my insurance will pay for.  I am so excited to have found this website so that I can understand what others have experienced to give me a better idea of what to expect!!  

Most Active