Interesting Article on "The Biggest Loser"

InTransition
on 1/18/15 2:41 am
RNY on 09/08/14
H.A.L.A B.
on 1/18/15 4:01 am

Losing such a massive amount of weight in such a short time has to be taxing on any system.  And i think they also take water pills... I can only imagine what that does to their kidneys..

I never understand people who hire personal trainers to abuse them. Or allow anyone to treat them purely. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Pokemom
on 1/18/15 6:37 am, edited 1/18/15 6:38 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Thanks for posting this article.  I thought it was really interesting.  And affirming about my choice to have WLS.  I think it is awful to shame anyone that way.  I am glad you were not on the show!

A couple of months ago, I posted these links to articles about The Biggest Loser.  Here they are again, in case someone is interested in this topic.  

http://bariatricfreedom.com/weight-loss-surgery-vs-the-biggest-loser/

http://doctorsofweightloss.com/5-experts-on-the-biggest-loser

Hislady
on 1/18/15 7:11 am - Vancouver, WA

I think I watched the show once in the beginning and I couldn't believe that people would allow themselves to be treated that way. I found it abusive and very sad to watch. I don't care how much weight they lost it wouldn't be worth it to me. I saw it as just one more way of taking advantage of fat people with low self esteem. To me they looked like they were training for concentration camps, it was that sickening to me. Where else would you have food withheld and worked from dawn to dusk. I will never understand why anyone much less obese people would watch this show.

MMMMMark
on 1/18/15 7:59 am

This is a good perspective. I used to watch the show and thought it was unfairly criticized because of the rapid weight loss. Afterall, WLS provides rapid weight loss too even though not as exaggerated as on the TV show. They have to make it dramatic for TV.  From what she says the contestants are in danger and under constant pressure. Do the contestants get paid? How is she able to give these interviews having signed nondisclosure agreements. It's interesting food for thought.

Dawn W.
on 1/18/15 8:08 am

This is terrible 

Patm
on 1/18/15 8:45 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

The one time I watched it I was concerned about the exercise they put people through. This just affirms what I though about the abuse they are people through

Bette B.
on 1/18/15 10:29 am

I'm constantly amazed that none of the contestants have dropped dead during filming.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Racewalker48
on 1/18/15 10:10 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

It's funny that my personal trainer told about how they really get these folks to lose weight about 3 years ago. Pretty much similar to the article.  Makes my choice to have WLS seem "mild" compared to how these folks were flogged to lose weight.

Raze
on 1/19/15 12:01 am

show is crap, show was always crap. big, false, unrealistic lie. i watched maybe half of it one time and was appalled. honestly, the name of the show sort of says it all and is in fact a swipe at fat people. i could have never done it, may have been "eliminated" and sent home to lose weight on my own. that, or i'd had punched someone working on the show  

IMO

Most Active