trouble sleeping after losing weight?

Phatphotog
on 1/17/15 12:28 am

When I was at my heaviest I couldn't sleep well because I had trouble breathing as my weight would press against my throat. After I lost about 40lbs I was sleeping soooo good. Now I'm inching up on 100lbs lost and I can't get comfortable! I still have about 25lbs to go but it seriously feels like my bones are all poking into the bed springs (shoulders, hips, ribs). My shoulders hurt and fall asleep and my knees feel uncomfortable now that they are bonier and touch each other. The weirdest? my ears even hurt! I think I need to get a couple of body pillows and a feather pillow now that I've lost most of my built-in fluff! lol This has definitely been an unexpected result of losing weight! How do skinny people sleep?! lol

6-5-14 - VSG with Dr. Corvala at Hospital Angeles, Tijuana 

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/15 1:09 am

I am not skinny. But I did buy a new mattress. Some people use body pillows.

Dreamy74
on 1/17/15 2:43 am
RNY on 02/04/15

I recommend a body pillow too. When my dad lost a lot of weight due to illness he swore by it. He hugged up to it at night and was more comfy after using it. The other thing is memory foam mattresses. They are sooo expensive but would be great to try if you can afford it. If not, they have memory foam mattress toppers that are way more reasonable. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on. 

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

MickeyDee
on 1/17/15 9:59 am

Memory foam mattress topper and various pillows helped me to adjust to bony knees, etc.

SUMO96
on 1/17/15 11:29 pm - Dorado, Puerto Rico

Agree on the memory foam.  I've had it for 8 years and my chronic back pains have been completely eliminated even in my heaviest 375#.  I have a 12" stiff memory foam mattress with a 4" soft memory foam topper.  The mattress sit on a platform so no box spring.  It has been worth every penny. 

RNY 11/7/2014. Pereira, Colombia  HW 375lbs

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/17/15 6:46 pm

I need mattress topper and a lot of pillows. I need 3-4 large pillows to sleep comfortably. 

Good pillow for our head is critical.  I bought bunch but finally found  "my pillow"  (brand name) and since then have no issue. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/17/15 11:58 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

My father bought us a memory foam mattress when I was pregnant and miserable.  It's been the greatest gift I have ever received.  In fact, we sometimes hate going on vacation because we miss our bed so much.  Ours is a tempurpedic.  It is absolutely worth every cent that it cost.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Phatphotog
on 1/18/15 10:17 am

Well that settles it. I need a memory foam mattress! 

6-5-14 - VSG with Dr. Corvala at Hospital Angeles, Tijuana 

Most Active