Unexpected feelings when I got the surgery paperwork

shakeitoff
on 1/22/15 1:14 am
VSG on 03/09/15

I finally got to schedule VGS surgery. YAY!  I expected to be over joyed.  Maybe because I was hoping for February and it will be in March9.  Then the paper work comes.  The thought of signing a paper as a self pay patient is quite scary. Reading how I am responsible for anything above and beyond the surgery is something that never crossed my mind.  What if something goes wrong? Imagine the bills!  Will our health insurance cover me if something goes wrong not surgery related.  I  guess I never thought of this part of it.  I haven't changed my mind about the surgery I just never thought about the "what if something goes wrong"  Anyone else scared by this part of the process?  I have had gallbaldder and hysterectomy(vertical) it's a lovely scar without any issues.  I have no reason to believe anything will go wrong this time. 

shakeitoff
on 1/22/15 2:16 am
VSG on 03/09/15

I just did some investigating and our insurnace will not cover any complications related to the surgery.  Why I didnt do this earlier I dont know.  I can hear my husband already. Ugh  why does it have to be so freaking complicated.

\

Anne C.
on 1/22/15 3:04 am
RNY on 11/24/14 with

I self-paid for RNY in November 2014. My surgeon required something called BLIS that was added onto his fee. BLIS  (google "BLISCare") is kind of like insurance but it only covers you for "complication-related medical expenses should a complication occur from select specialty surgeries." I'm not sure if there are other companies doing the same sort of coverage but you should ask your surgeon's office about it.

Y D.
on 1/22/15 12:04 pm
VSG on 01/19/15 with

I had the same feeling! I self paid in Mx, but I still had to sign a paper regarding charges for potential complications (Cpap machine, blood transfusion, etc). 

The good news is, you should have a pretty good idea by now from your doctor what your risk of complication is. And in general, they are very rare with vsg ;)

i had my surgery Monday, went perfectly. Another gentleman had surgery that morning, he's over 500 lbs, also no problems.

dont worry, be positive and get all your post op goodies ready! :)

shakeitoff
on 1/23/15 2:30 am
VSG on 03/09/15

I appreciate your "positive" reply.  I have no reason to suspect and complications. Dr. hasnt mentioned any either.  I started at 384.5 and I am at 348.8 today.  I dont start the pre-op diet until Feb 9.  I hope to be closer to 320-310 before surgery on March 9.  Congrats on your sucessful surgery :)

angel91e
on 1/22/15 12:38 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

I was a self pay for my RNY a year ago and I ended up with a stricture that needed corrective surgery six weeks out. It was over twenty five thousand dollars and to say I freaked out was an understatement however this tale has a happy ending when very large unexpected medical bills happen there are often resources that don't occur to us. The hospital itself wrote off the cost of the surgery afterward but I also found out I would have qualified for grants or other help with the medical bills. Don't let the what ifs scare you out of doing what's best for you.

good luck 

Angel 

PS

it was the best decision I ever made and by far the greatest investment. I would do it again in a heartbeat even after the complication

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

Most Active