in a rut

jejames2005
on 3/10/15 11:44 pm - Phoenix, AZ

Feeling a bit depressed due to the slow down of weight loss. I know I need to go to the gym but I find the gym intimidating due to the gym bunnies who go there. I am also finding myself making poor food choices. I really don't want to slide backwards so early.

gmantek
on 3/10/15 11:50 pm

Hi there.  Not sure how far along you are, but this sounds normal to me.  I've felt this way a few times.  When I'm feeling like this it helps to look at some before and after pictures, or just try on some of your old clothes if you have them.  I also compare my lab reports - I have one from about a year pre op and my latest.  This really keeps me in check. 

As far as the gym, weather permitting, maybe you could just start taking some walks outside?  Or maybe try a different gym that isn't so intimidating?  I love the Y.  Another thing that helps me, when I feel like I'm about to pick up something I shouldn't eat, I stop and make myself count to 20.  I usually put it back down.  Hope this helps. 

jejames2005
on 3/10/15 11:59 pm - Phoenix, AZ

The count to 20 thing I have to try out. I am so close to being under 400 lbs but the scale is being stubborn. I haven't been under 425 since I was 20. I started this whole weight loss journey at 517 now I'm 405.

gmantek
on 3/11/15 12:01 am

You've lost over 100lbs - that's amazing!!  Keep working at it, you have the tool to do this now-it's not like all the other times we've tried to lose weight. You just have to put some work back into it to make the tool work for you.  You can do this!! 

jejames2005
on 3/11/15 12:11 am - Phoenix, AZ

Thanks for the encouragement

Pokemom
on 3/16/15 12:51 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I am so proud of you! Look how far you have come!  I know you can stick with it and be successful.  

Michele H.
on 3/10/15 11:52 pm - NJ

Do you have Retro Fitness or Planet Fitness where you live?  No gym bunnies at those places. I felt the same way the first time I walked in my gym but soon realized no one was looking at me or anyone else, they were all wraped up in thier routine.  

Michele

jejames2005
on 3/10/15 11:54 pm - Phoenix, AZ

I have 24 hour fitness

Mary Gee
on 3/11/15 12:21 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
I belong to 24 hour fitness too. I try to go on off hours, and when I do go, nobody pays any attention to me at all ....everyone is wrapped up in themselves... But sometimes I'll approach someone with a question and they are very helpful. The staff...not so much. ..... It's easy to get in a rut though. I've done some home exercising to YouTube videos..mostly chair exercises due to mobility issues. Next month I am going to buy a recumbent bike to use at home ...they are not expensive, and there are models available for us heavyweights. ...... Maybe you can change up some of your meals...I've added protein coffee, and I've started marinating my meats for new flavors. Also got a Spiralizer to make zucchini noodles to eat with meatballs and sauce. Keep trying to "shake things up" a bit. Good luck to you.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/11/15 2:12 am, edited 3/11/15 2:17 am

Hello.  I'm in Phoenix too.  Well, Buckeye to be exact. Congratulations on losing over 100 pounds.  That is a huge accomplishment.  You should be proud of how far you've come and how well you have done.  What surgery did you have?  When did you have it?   I haven't had surgery yet, I'm still in the 6 month supervised weight loss part to the process.  It's already getting hot, 90 degrees by the end of the week so I think we are in for a long, hot summer.  You're really going to have to get to a gym for workouts or do at home workouts because being outside won't be possible.  I'm not familiar with the gyms in our area as far as pricing and such, but I know that most people are only into their own workout.  If you're having any sort of difficulties ask the gym attendants to help.  If they try to sales push a personal trainer onto you ask if you can get a free one on one session and then ask the trainer how to show you how to use all the gym equipment.  I recommend SparkPeople.com as another resource for an online community dedicated to weight loss.  When you're feeling depressed just hop on that site and read all the articles, success stories, menus, watch the workout videos (better yet do them).  I'm not sure if you have mobility issues or not, but there are some specialized chair exercises and even specialized yoga for mobility issues.   I like the suggestion about counting to 20 before making a choice to eat an unhealthy food.  I'm going to have to try that.  Best wishes and Good Luck!

PS:  I found this in my email after I posted so I'm coming back to share it with you.  I'm not the originator of this.  It comes from a friend.

You  need a STRATEGY dealing with OBSTACLES or temptations.

Ever notice how when we slip up just a little during the formation of a new habit, we suddenly decide to “abandon ship” and give up on all the progress we’ve made??

Have you ever said, “Screw this! It’s not worth the effort!” ?? 

That’s an “ahscrewit” moment and the negative effect goes far beyond your “quitting”

Take for example a recent study on cookies and dieters, which found that when dieters THOUGHT they’d blown their calorie limit, they ate 50% more! And when they thought they were safely within their limit, they ate the same amount as subjects not on a diet.

Minor setbacks and frustrations are habit destroyers.

They give us the excuse to skip our habit and throw the baby out with the bath water.

Small little slips trick us into thinking it’s okay to blow the whole thing off because we messed up.

Having a plan in place and creating a self-SUPPORTING environment is the first step.

The meal plans are your offense.

The meal plans are your action plan strategy for weight-loss, time saving, money saving, and “eat healthy” goals!

“If this happens… Then I will…”

IF I start craving sweets, THEN I will brush my teeth.

IF I feel too tired to cook, THEN I will open a can of beans and eat them.

The If-Then technique is the BEST countermeasure when you lack motivation.

(It’s also incredibly effective when you don’t want to do your new habit!)

“Progress comes with consistency, and part of reaching your goals is working towards them even when you don’t want to.” - Gregory Ciotti

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

Most Active