What do you do? I'm always curious about what moves people.

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/18/15 11:53 am

My weight isn't keeping me from doing these things now, other things are.  But they are on my list of things to do in 2015 and most likely will be done after WLS instead of before just because of money issues. What exercise do you like to do and why do you like it? 

1. Learn to couples and line dance.  I love dancing but I've never been properly taught so I am looking forward to the classes.  I have to look into what is offered in my area.

2. Learn Krav Maga self defense.  I think there is a studio about 30 miles from where I live.

3. Check out Yoga to see if I like it or not.  I bought a DVD so I will be finding out soon if it's for me.

4.  There are a lot of hiking trails in mountains surrounding Phoenix.  I hope to explore a few of them this fall. It's just too darn hot during the summer.

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

kathkeb
on 3/18/15 3:39 pm

How does a lack of money keep you from hiking?

There are some great trails just north if you that are wonderful into the Summer months ..... Payson, Heber, all of the Mogollian Rim, really.

Kath

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/18/15 3:52 pm, edited 3/18/15 3:53 pm

I'm unemployed. Can't afford the gas money right now to get to the trails. Hoping to be employed sometime next month if not sooner, then I can go exploring.  But it's already hot here in the valley so it may be a while before I go hiking. I'm near the Estrella Mts. Not sure if I spelled that right.

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

kathkeb
on 3/18/15 4:57 pm, edited 3/18/15 4:57 pm

I live in Tucson, so know all about heat!

We just go earlier in the summer months.  Without Daylight savings Time we can get some great hiking done in the early mornings.

We hike 3 or 4 times a month .. Almost every weekend.  Our dog loves it and it is great exercise. 

We even went to Spain to hike the Camino de Santiago 18 months ago (that trip was not cheap, but worth every penny .... Truly the trip of a lifetime).

I hope you can figure out a way to take advantage of your beautiful surroundings.

Kath

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/18/15 5:25 pm

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/19/15 1:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Where do you go hiking at? I'm in Marana and I've checked out Catalina State Park, but I haven't tried any other hiking spots so far.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

kathkeb
on 3/19/15 4:31 am

We are on the far SouthEast side of town -- we hike up on Mt. Lemmon all the time (higher elevations in the Summer, lower ones in the Fall and Winter).

We go to Agua Caliente hill (more of a mountain than a hill) and go to Sagauro National Park East (but we can't take the dog there).

We also just drive down near Colossal Cave and find a spot to park and hike and let the dog run -- my husband does quite a bit of 4-wheel drive 'stuff' --- so he knows a lot of back roads and remote locations to go.

You can drive a bit South and check out Saqauro National Park West -- we did some trails up above the Starr Pass Resort last year --

Kath

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/19/15 4:36 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Fabulous, I'm writing this down! Thanks a million :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Patm
on 3/19/15 2:24 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Pre-op I did agua fit. It was easy on the joints. Now I do lane swimming and bike in the nice weather. I hope to soon get my bike out and start biking to work again. Right now it is just too cold for me

jastypes
on 3/19/15 3:52 am - Croydon, PA

There is a zumba class near me that I love.  It is actually held at the Barix clinics where I had my surgery, and the instructor is a WLS patient herself!  She charges $5 a class, and we have so much fun!  I love swimming when I get the chance to do that.  At the moment, I walk the stairs for exercise -- I work on the 19th floor, and I take the stairs down. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active