bypass and hysterectomy

crystalhamley
on 3/19/15 4:35 am

Has anyone had the gastric bypass and hysterectomy surgery done at the same time? As a part of my pre op testing I had a pelvic ultrasound and the results suggest I may need a hysterectomy too. I know my surgeon has done these two surgeries before with the assistance of an obgyn. I'm just wanting to know what to expect with the addition to my surgery. And it would be a full hysterectomy, as I am an ovarian cancer survivor.

Kathy S.
on 3/19/15 5:11 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I personally have never head of this but try posting this on the Weight Loss Surgery 50 and Over and see if anyone there has heard of this.  Good Luck to you

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/19/15 5:27 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I have the sleeve and both ovaries removed at the same time.  The bariatric surgeon did the sleeve first, then the OBGYN came in to remove the ovaries.   All it required was one extra hole during the laparoscopy.  I'm a colon cancer survivor, and had a cyst of one of my ovaries that kept growing so my oncologist suggested that it was a great idea to kill two birds with one stone.

It didn't affect my recovery time, I don't think.  I don't know how more involved it would be with a full hysterectomy.  

Good luck to you.  I'm sure everything will go swimmingly.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

crystalhamley
on 3/19/15 9:13 am

Thanks for sharing, I hope mine won't affect my recovery much.

michaela1230
on 2/17/21 10:21 pm

Hi! I'm also a colon cancer survivor (stage 4!) (almost 2 years now NED), with Lynch Syndrome, 45 years old, mom died of ovarian at 45 so it's time for me to take care of this - just wondering about the recovery really with such major change from menopause and rapid weight loss...advice? Tips?

thanks so much!!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/19/15 9:26 am - OH

The surgeins that I work for will not do any pelvic surgery at the same time as the WLS, even if another surgeon would be doing the second surgery.  They say it is too much of a hassle scheduling two surgeons (even if both of them have privileges at the same hospital) and dealing with complications from two completely different surgeries makes thing much more complex.  

I know of other surgeons that WILL, however, allow a second surgeon to come in and piggy back off the WLS. I don't know how they determine what the issue is if you have excessive post op pain or something, though...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Patm
on 3/19/15 9:54 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I would think your recovery would depend on how extensive the hysterectomy needs to be. I had one a year after my RNY. It was a full open  hysterectomy. It took me longer to get over it than the RNY

Most Active