Will Illness Postpone Surgery?

MrsVonZipper
on 3/25/15 6:44 pm

HELP! I'm scheduled for RNY surgery Friday morning, after and 8 month journey to get to this point. Over night, I have developed a deep, slightly painful cough with chest congestion, and runny nose. I think I'm coming down with a virus!! Has anyone else experienced illness this close to surgery? If so, was it postponed? Thank you.

Patty

Cathy W.
on 3/25/15 9:23 pm

Call your bariatric surgeon to let them know.  Chest congestion would be a concern for having surgery and anesthesia.  

Healthy wishes to you

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

MrsVonZipper
on 3/25/15 9:57 pm

I'm going to call them this morning. I think I know what their response is going to be. sigh Thank you for your response Cathy.

Patty

klv2355
on 3/25/15 10:55 pm
VSG on 12/01/14

My surgery was postponed for 2 weeks due to a chemical peel on my FACE! They are very picky. Try and rest, but be honest bc surgery is serious and you don't want to be sick during recovery. It's not safe. Good luck! 

MrsVonZipper
on 3/26/15 12:14 am

My head knows what you say is absolutely right...but my heart wants to go ahead. Fortunately, my head is in charge. (this time) LOL! Thank you so much.

Patty

christinerocks
on 3/26/15 9:59 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Oh my gosh, I have a facial and microdermabrasion scheduled for two days before surgery.  I am going to check on this! Thanks for the heads up. 

klv2355
on 3/26/15 11:54 am
VSG on 12/01/14

Check! I scheduled all my stuff before surgery and then had to wait 2 weeks:/. 

Valerie G.
on 3/26/15 12:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Give them a call asap.  They may only need to make extra precautions, but will probably want to test you for an infection.  If its just a virus, you may be able to continue.  They may do an antibiotic shot just in case.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MrsVonZipper
on 3/26/15 12:15 am

I have a call in to the surgeon's office...waiting to hear back from them. They have the knowledge and experience to make the best decision...just waiting (and praying) now. Thank you Valerie!

Patty

huskergalWsD
on 3/26/15 3:46 am

Being Ill will hinder recovery and why would anyone go into an elective surgery ill. with all the chances of infections and all.. please be patient. This is  a serious surgery.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Most Active