Concerned

jackieboy331
on 4/27/15 11:42 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I am on my 3 week pre-op diet. I am following everything to a T. I am very concerned, because, the weight loss is minimal. Twice in the last 2 weeks I had exactly the same weight 3 days in a row and then dropped a pound or a pound and a half. I always could not lose any weight on a 1600 calorie diet. Now I am having between 800 & 1000 calories of shakes and the losing is minimal at best. I told my surgeon early on that my metabolism is messed up and I won't lose much. I am scared of going through all this and not losing any weight post op. I will feel like a real failure. Please Help. Has anyone experienced this and lost significant weight post op? Please I am petrified. HELP!!!

Kate -True Brit
on 4/28/15 1:15 am, edited 4/28/15 1:20 am - UK

Edited to add. Sorry, see you are having RNY,  took out question about which surgery you were having! 

Have I read this correctly?  Twice in two weeks, you have not lost weight for three days? So that is 6 days with no loss and 8 when you have lost every day? 

Your expectations are unrealistic. Expecting to lose weight every day is setting you up for disappointment. 

You give us almost no information (how heavy you are now, how much you mean by "minimal" loss) so it is hard to be specific. But even post-op with RNY which adds maoabsorption to help you, you are going to have many, many times when you don't lose weight for three days! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/28/15 2:11 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Both before and after surgery, the weight will not "magically" disappear. After your first week or two post-op a pound or two per WEEK is realistic, often with a series of plateaus. We didn't gain everything in a day, and we don't lose that way either.

Look at the long-term trends for your weight loss. This is a snapshot of my progress from last summer-- a gradual pattern of loss, no enormous jumps from day to day, much less week to week.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/28/15 3:40 am - Burleson, TX

Ditto what KATE said. She is VERY wise

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/28/15 7:29 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You will not lose weight every day after surgery.  Prepare yourself emotionally for this now or you will have unrealistic expectations.

If you follow your surgeon's plan, you will lose weight over time.  What you weigh now and how much you have to lose can affect your rate of weight loss.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active