Gallbladder gone .. Now I need the bowels to move!

HLen
on 4/29/15 5:37 am
RNY on 07/11/14

LONG Post....

Awhile ago, I posted that I had been having these attacks, the ER didn't know what it was the first time, they sent me for a CT, Ultrasound, found nothing and sent me home.  It happened again and again.  I went to see my PCP and my Bariatric Surgeon and they both said it was a gallbladder attack.  They had more ultra sounds done and did find the stones.   Both said one more attack and it would come out. 

Well Thursday, I left work early, feeling like I might have an attack.  I got almost home and decided to go to the ER.  Called my hubby and he met me there.  

They finally treated me with pain meds, previously they didn't do anything since they didn't know what it was.  

I was pumped full of morphine and fluid iv to keep me hydrated.  Pain still went on for hours.  They finally said they were admitting me and would see a surgeon the next day.  

I felt good, but achy and exhausted by bedtime.  I had been in the ER for 6 hours and then finally in a room by 8:30.  I slept all night and had another attack in the morning. Surgeon came in at 8, said we are taking it out! Yay!

I hadn't been allowed anything to eat or drink since I had come into the ER, in case the dr decided to operate. That was miserable.   The IV from the ER was leaking, so they had to do another... Blew a vein, tried another, blew a vein... Finally they put one in the outside of my forearm... I recommend that over any spot!!  No pain and no bruising and never in the way. 

Anyway... Surgery was @12:30.. In recovery by 2, room by 2:30.   So glad it's gone.  I have 4 bruised cuts, all smaller than RNY.   Pain is so much less than RNY. Gas was pretty bad in the shoulder though.

I peed constantly in the hospital... I almost asked for a catheter I had to get up so many times. 

I just can't poop!  I have been taking Miralax and Colace everyday, lots and lots of fluids, walking...  I am drinking a Smooth Moves Tea now... It's been a rough 4 days... 

I went after about 5 days after RNY... I think this is the worst part if recovery. 

Just wanted to post and see if anyone has any good recommendations that worked for them to get things moving. :)

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

emelar
on 4/29/15 9:04 am - TX

Milk of Magnesia, lots of fluids, and walk as much as you can.  And call your doc to see if he has any better/different recommendations.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/29/15 8:06 pm

Suppository...together with what you are doing. Enema always helps me... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grandkids3
on 4/29/15 11:55 pm

My surgery was on Tuesday April 21.  Prune juice worked for me.  Give it a try.

good luck!

HLen
on 4/30/15 2:51 am
RNY on 07/11/14

That's what my mom suggested, warm prune juice.  I finally got some things moving and feel much better. The tea helped.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Most Active