Weight gain?

Grandkids3
on 4/29/15 11:59 pm

It's been a week since my surgery.  Doing well.  Seemed to have been losing.  The past 3 days no loss.  Even a 1 lb gain.  I am so nervous.  Any advice?  Or am I crazy???

thanks,

grandkids3

Ready2goNOW
on 4/30/15 12:30 am

Congratulations on making it to the other side!

I am still pre-op, but from what I understand the effects of the surgery...anesthesia, swelling, etc. can cause temporary weight gain the first few weeks. I would not worry about it.

I know it will be hard for me, but I do not plan on bringing a scale in the house after my surgery. I always 'rewarded' or 'comforted' myself  with food based on the numbers. I have been going just by the nutritionist scale these past few months as even other doctor offices scales read differently.

Good luck as you move forward in recovery!

Kathy

Tracy D.
on 4/30/15 1:21 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Here's what I'm going to suggest:  stop weighing yourself EVERY DAY!  I know, I know...it's almost impossible to do.  But the bathroom scale is the absolute WORST indicator of how well you are losing fat.  And that's the goal - to lose fat, not weight.  If you want to lose a quick 10 lbs. you could simply cut off your head, but you wouldn't be any less fat or healthier, would you? ;-) 

Weighing yourself daily is an exercise in frustration.  Your body will release water and retain water due to no particular schedule at all.  And it will MESS with your head.  A gallon of water weighs 8 lbs.!!  So yes, you can go up several pounds a week or even in a day and it means NOTHING about your compliance or long-term success.   

If you are following your plan to a T (and I assume you are if you are one week post-op), getting in your water and as much protein as you can, you are doing fine.  

Breathe, relax and focus on following the plan.  It's the daily actions and what you put in your mouth that are going get you healthier and - eventually - into smaller sizes.  And that's the ultimate goal.  

P.S.  You have to work pretty hard NOT to be successful with WLS.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Grandkids3
on 4/30/15 1:27 am

Thank you Tracey!  My husband and I just had this discussion.  I appreciate the support.

Mary Gee
on 4/30/15 2:25 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Follow your surgeon's plan and the weight will drop.  It's not unusual to lose nothing, or even gain weight right after surgery.  Personally, I avoided the scale for the first six months - I only got weighed at doctor's appointments - I was seeing my PCP once a month.  Weighing yourself every day will drive you CRAZY!!  You weight fluctuates day to day, hour to hour.  You may gain a pound today, but lose sight of the fact you dropped two pounds the day before.  If you feel you have to weigh yourself daily, then do a graph so you will see the progress you are making.

Believe me, the surgery worked, and as long as you follow your plan, you will lose weight.

Congratulations on making it to the Losers' Bench!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

jenorama
on 4/30/15 3:48 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Right now it's just about physically impossible for you to not lose weight.  A lot of people lose in a stair-step pattern.  Through post-surgery and previous weight loss attempts, I've discovered that this is how I behave.  I'll have a sizable loss one week, then nothing, then another loss.  Or sometimes I'll stay steady for a couple weeks and then lose again.  It's weird, but stay on target and watch for trends rather than day-to-day.  :D

Jen

Grandkids3
on 4/30/15 8:06 am

Thank you ladies.  I appreciate the advice and the support.

Most Active