13 Years Post Op.... Have concerns RNY Gastric Bypass

jbrocken4274
on 5/11/15 8:07 am

Hello all,

Has anyone had the RNY Stoma revision?  Pros & Cons???  

Kathy S.
on 5/11/15 12:49 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi

If you have not done so already try posting this on the Revision Weight Loss Surgery Forum and Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY)

Good Luck

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/11/15 12:55 pm - Burleson, TX

Why do you ask? I, also, am 13 years out, and, at  one time thought I needed a stoma/pouch revision, but had a EGD, and found out my pouch and stoma were working just fine...I was actually disappointed, strange as that might sound. it was my BRAIN and HABITS that needed the revisions...

I do personally KNOW people who have had the Stomaphyx procedure, and the BOB (Band over Bypass)...sadly...neither have been successful, as they still have not REVISED their BRAIN and HABITS...

I'm happy to help you, in any way I can

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

jbrocken4274
on 5/11/15 1:10 pm

I ask because over the last 6 months I have noticed weight gain, continuously staying hungry, not getting full.  NOTHING has changed in my diet and or exercising.  I have had several gall bladder flair ups in the last 6 months and was recently diagnosed with a stomach ulcer and have to take Carafate before I eat.  These are just the few things I can think of right now that are out of whack.  I have emailed by original surgeon to ask about these things and I am waiting for a reply and will go from there.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/11/15 7:28 pm - Burleson, TX

Is the ulcer in your pouch? In your stoma? In your remnant Stomach? Who diagnosed it and ordered the Carafate? SO glad you contacted your original surgeon? Do you have access to your original records to now exactly how much was bypassed, etc? This could prove to be very important, in regard to where your ulcer is, etc

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

jbrocken4274
on 5/12/15 6:24 am

I actually do not know the answers to your questions regarding my surgery.  I would hope that my surgeon would still have all of that in my file.  Regarding the Carafate,  I went to the ER with abdominal pain.  The hospital was in touch with my surgeon the duration of my visit/stay.  Dr. Alanis is the one that told them to put me on the Carafate.  I think that I will just make an appt with him and go from there.  As well as tightening up my diet again and starting over with just fish, chicken and steamed veggies... and see how things progress over a couple of weeks. Thanks for the feedback :)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/11/15 7:32 pm - OH

Unfortunately, the success rate of the procedures currently available for tightening the stoma are pretty small (and most insurance policies won't cover them for that reason). 

There may be absolutely nothing wrong with your stoma, though. (Getting an EGD done to scope the pouch and stoma is the first step, if you have not already done so).  According to my surgeon, of all the people who came back to her and said they were gaining weight despite no change in eating habits, and were sure that their pouch and/or stoma was stretched out,  less than 20% of them actually had enlargement beyond what is normally expected.  That means that for over 80% of them, the regain wasn't due to a mechanical failure. Both of the surgeons I work for have also indicated that the number of EGDs that reveal "stretching" of any kind is significantly smaller than the number that show a problem.

It is very easy for us to let our portion sizes creep up, to let extra carbs slip into our diet, to stop waiting a full 30 minutes after eating before drinking, and/or to stop focusing as much on dense protein as the years pass. All of these things affect our level of hunger and our weight.

I would suggest measuring and tracking everything you are eating for a couple of weeks to have an objective analysis of what, and how much, you are eating.  You may very well be surprised at how many calories you are consuming.  If hunger is a problem, increase your dense proteins, and be sure to wait the full 30 minutes after eating before you drink.  You might also find it helpful to eat smaller, more frequent meals.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jbrocken4274
on 5/12/15 6:21 am

Thank you very much for the feedback.  You are very right in the fact that we get lax on our "beginning" routines.  I think that I am going to just start all over.  I used to be VERY strict with my diet.  I would only eat fish or chicken with steamed veggies and I do believe that I have "let go" per say just a bit.  Again, thank you for the words of wisdom.  :)

siberiancat
on 5/13/15 7:51 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Just my experience - but I find at 6 years post RNY I do get "lax" with portion sizes and a few bites here and there.  I keep a food journal twice a year for about 60 days each time.  I log every bite and add the calories, grams of carbs, grams of protein and ounces of fluid.  My bariatric plan (St. Vincent's, Indiana) for maintenance is 1200-1400 calories, 130 gm carbs and 80 gms protein.  Since I'm short and petite I aim for 1200 calories and no more than 100gm carbs per day.  I also keep protein levels at 80-100 grams a day.

My "unconscious" grazing amazes me!!  When I'm logging my food - I find myself stopping before I eat 6 gluten free animal crackers, or 5-6 salt and vinegar chips,  because I don't want to add those calories or grams of carbs in my food journal.  I also find myself reading labels more and putting food back on the grocery shelf or back in the pantry because of high calories and low nutrition value.

This keeps me on track - but only for a few months and I find I need to do it again to keep accountable.  I also weigh myself daily and watch for trends of creeping up a few pounds.

This works for me, but may not work for all.  It does take time, but helps me see where I could make wiser choices.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active