Summer Wine and Food Festivals

newmein2015
on 5/11/15 10:12 am
RNY on 04/06/15

I have a few wine and food festivals planned this summer.  For me, it is more for socializing with friends and enjoying the outdoors and summer, than eating.  I also do not intend to drink wine under 1 year post op, so no problems there.  I am curious however, if anyone has attended such festivals after surgery.  If so, how difficult was it to find healthy alternatives?  I am happy to pack my own snacks, I am rarely tempted to cheat as I no longer even have a taste for fried foods or sweets.  I am just curious about options.  I want to continue to live my normal life after surgery, and not hide and become sheltered in my home.  But I would also like to be prepared in advance.  

jenorama
on 5/11/15 11:23 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Festivals and food trucks can be tough.  I usually stay clear of fried things and gravitate toward BBQ or chicken skewers.  I also never leave the house without jerky and nuts.  Eating a little something at home before leaving is a good idea too--that way you don't let yourself get too hungry and make choices you'll regret in the heat of the moment.  :D

Jen

newmein2015
on 5/11/15 12:38 pm
RNY on 04/06/15

Thanks, Jen.  Good ideas.  I will definitely eat before leaving home and pack some items.  Chicken skewers - depending on how they are prepared, are a good option. 

Eggface
on 5/13/15 3:43 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I love food festivals and fairs still. Same reasons you do... outdoors, fun, friends, live music.

Bring something just in case... I always have a shaker bottle with me and a ziploc baggie with protein powder in it... or some companies make travel packets of protein powder that way just in case there is nothing I've good to go, just add water. 

But you'll be pleasantly surprised at how many options you'll have... perhaps with some slight modifications

Skewers are great jus****ch sauces. Grilled seafood, shrimp, crab. Meatballs. BBQ, again watch sauces but Mmm tri-tip or brisket. Grilled veggies. Ceviche. Greek food stands tend to have a ton of options (Feta, Grilled Chicken, Hummus, Tzatziki, Gyros meat sans pita, have them toss it on a bed of lettuce.) Many burger stands will do "protein style, lettuce wrapped" burgers.

If they have a website check it out... some have "healthier" choices listed. Our San Diego County Fair has a "Rejuvenation Station" each year with protein bars, fruit, salads. 

Enjoy! 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

newmein2015
on 5/13/15 6:01 am
RNY on 04/06/15

Thank you, good tips!

Most Active