So sad

Willie H.
on 5/15/15 11:06 am
VSG on 08/26/14

What's so sad? I played golf today and really enjoyed it. Amazing how much power I have now since I can turn my shoulders away from the ball! Love this WLS!

The sad part is that while I was playing I was part of a foursome. Another player and I walked and it was a very hilly course. The other two men rode a cart. I'm 56 years of age, the gentleman walking with me was retired and 78 years of age while the two men who rode were about 65 years of age. One was slender and the other was very overweight, smoking a cigar and appeared to be very unhealthy. He could not even reach into the hole for his ball after putting but used a suction cup on the end of his putter.

The back nine was very hilly and as I was talking to his friend he asked me if I always walked and I told him yes, even when I was 350 lbs last year I still walked while playing golf., Of course this led to him asking me how did I lose the weight, and so fast? So I told him I had the Sleeve Surgery and he said his friend (the one were playing with) had the surgery himself two years ago but learned to "eat around it." He said "we are two Italian guys and we love to eat-especially breads and pasta!" I asked him how much did his friend lose initially? He said no more than 50 lbs but as soon as he could, he went back to eating breads, pasta's and other bad foods and has since  gained even more back. As I looked at his over weight friend huffing, puffing, waddling, using the golf club as a crutch and unable to bend over I just thought "so sad".

That was the old me, although I was younger then he and in better condition, I was not too far off before WLS. To have this WLS and not take advantage of it, to not appreciate it's effects made me realize that we all-even with WLS-have to make a commitment and be willing to change. Or else we are right back to square one. Especially at over 50 years of age we want our quality of life to be healthy so that we can enjoy these years. So sad that one has the VSG and does not even give themselves a chance. It gave me a renewed sense of appreciation and commitment to work my program. So sad. So very sad!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

White Dove
on 5/15/15 11:32 am - Warren, OH

The surgery gives you an opportunity to get on a level playing field with people who are not obese.  It does not keep you there.  Only you can change your food habits and make the loss permanent.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kate -True Brit
on 5/15/15 11:52 am - UK

Yes, I agree. Truly sad! Sad in the old-fashioned meaning of the word! 

As we always say on here, surgery doesn't fix your mind. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Ready2goNOW
on 5/15/15 5:16 am

It's these kinds of stories/cases that make me (pre-op) shake my head.

I am almost 60, have several co-morbidities and this past winter was the worst of my life. I could barely move due to the weight & heart issue I have...ME...who up to 300 could almost do as much as someone half my size! Then age and disease and other 'conditions' set in!

I am having this surgery to save my life and ensure some quality to the time I have left.

I can see the younger ppl making this mistake...cheating...thinking it will never happen to them...all the youthful magical thinking, but over 50 is no joke.

Why even bother?

This isn't about 'getting over' the tool given to us....that many cannot afford or would beg for...or die b/c they can't get it...it is about using the tool in the way it is meant to be used.

Aren't you glad you're not that guy?

Geez!

Kathy

Tracy D.
on 5/15/15 12:54 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You've been given a very important gift, Willie.  It wasn't a coincidence that the huffing, puffing, out-of-shape guy you were golfing with had a sleeve surgery "gone bad".  That was the giant arm of the universe coming down and warning you what life could easily look like if you don't stay disciplined...or if you fool yourself into thinking "I got this".  

We never "got this", buddy....never.  One day at a time.  #thestruggleisreal

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Laura in Texas
on 5/15/15 2:11 pm

I agree!! I definitely view these stories a gift. Even now, at 6.75 years out, I fight every day to maintain my weight. I see the people who had surgery the same time as me who have struggled to maintain and it makes me fight harder.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

JB1114
on 5/15/15 1:45 pm - Grain Valley, MO

That is sad to have had the surgery then not taken advantage of it.  There is no food that tastes good enough for me to blow my RNY.

Good for you being so successful.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/15 4:19 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

That's so sad. The same thing happened to a coworker of mine. He had his sleeve last July and had eaten completely around it by December. He even did it self-pay because his insurance would only cover the RNY and he wanted the VSG. Even sadder, his diabetes is now completely out of control, but he doesn't even test his blood sugar anymore because he doesn't like to see the numbers. He just guesses for his insulin doses.

I'm very newly post-op, but every day I'm terrified of taking a misstep and throwing it all away. I sure hope I feel restriction when I'm allowed to start eating purees!

Grim_Traveller
on 5/15/15 6:16 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It is sad. But I'm happy to see your attitude. This is a great opportunity, and I'm sure you'll make the most of it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Mary Gee
on 5/16/15 8:46 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

That is a sad story Willie.  But a gift to you because it signals what could happen to any of us if we don't stay on program.  FAT is just down the road, if we don't stay straight on our path.

Recognizing the dangers keeps you strong.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active