Organic Food?

jenorama
on 5/21/15 11:33 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Organic foods have been shown to not be healthier or contain more nutrients than their non-organic counterparts.  If you are finding the cost to be prohibitive, don't worry about going hardcore organic, but focus more on a whole-food approach and avoid packaged, processed foods as others have suggested.  That way you'll cut out a lot of excess salt and sugar that you don't even realize is there.  

Feeding your family more like the way you need to eat--protein and veggie forward--will benefit everyone and good for you for taking the steps for your family's health!  :D

Jen

Grim_Traveller
on 5/21/15 2:09 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I agree with this 100%

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/21/15 4:09 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

This is spot on advice.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/21/15 11:50 am
RNY on 08/05/19

There is no scientific evidence that organic food (produce) has any additional nutritional benefit, nor is it any better for the environment.

Additionally, food classified as "organic" can still be treated with pesticides-- there's a specific list of ones that are allowed, and it's possible that "organic" farms use more of said chemicals than conventional pesticides, though the government does't track specific amounts.

Switching to a diet heavier in plant protein and unprocessed food is a good idea. But it's unnecessary to spend the extra money on specific produce in order to do so. 

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kate -True Brit
on 5/21/15 12:03 pm - UK

Julie has cited the studies for me!  Here in the UK, a lot of articles have argued that organic foods are not nutritionally any better than non-organic. However, although some pesticides are still permitted there is a more limited range. I think (this may be incorrect) that some of the pesticides which are banned in the EU are still permitted in the U.S. so this may be more important for you. 

What I am not aware of is any serious scientific study showing that there IS nutritional benefit from organic food, 

My own choice is "natural" rather than specifically organic. I avoid processed foods, chemical additives, artificial sweeteners, transfats etc.. Not obsessively, just veering towards those and away from their opposites.

i also buy meat from known sources - the growth hormones which I believe are still used in the U.S. are no longer used here and I understand we use fewer antibiotics as routine for meat animals but we do still use some of the latter. By buying from my local farm, a I know antibiotics are only used to treat orobkems not as routine feed. But this is much more expensive! But I do this for humanitarian as well as nutritional and health reasons, 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Willie H.
on 5/21/15 12:42 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

I certainly appreciate all the comments-it has given me room for thought. Amazing what we learn on this forum, makes me realize how Food/Nutrition-illiterate I was before.

As many of you suggested I'm going to start small and continue to do research. It's true that cutting out all the junk food and pre-packaged items will help alleviate the cost of buying natural and organic foods.

My 18 year old daughter bought the Ezekiel bread since she is now into natural and organic foods. My 20 year old son eats terribly along with his little brother. Going to look up the web sites mentioned. Now just have to figure out how to get an 8 year old boy to eat properly! : )  - Thanks!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Kate -True Brit
on 5/21/15 3:41 pm - UK

My 7 year old grandson and 4 year old granddaughter love cooking. Actually making things themselves encourages healthy eating. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/15 1:25 pm

I did buy organic for a while. It was expensive and I am not sure it is always regulated and truly organic. I did end up with a major fruit fly problem from some of the fruit that I bought.

Hislady
on 5/21/15 1:37 pm - Vancouver, WA

I don't know your situation whether you live in an apartment or a house of your own but if there is any way you can plant some of your own veggies that is a great way to get kinds interested in eating healthy foods. If they work at growing it they are more inclined to try eating it and you can try different types of veggies for them to try. Great family time too!

SkinnyScientist
on 5/21/15 4:05 pm

HI!

This is by no means a scientific study, but when I have "gone organic"+hormone free meats and milk, and free range eggs, I lost about 5-10 lbs WITHOUT trying.

I gained those 5-10 lbs back when I went back to the usual foods.

Only you can judge what that means.

Notably, after a month of eating organic (and losing 5-10lbs) I wouldn't lose anymore.  So eating organic seemed to have a limited effect of me.

But remember, I only tested myself ..but did it 4 times over about 12 years.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active