Organic Food?

Willie H.
on 5/21/15 9:55 am
VSG on 08/26/14

No doubt this has been spoken about and excuse my laziness in not searching it up. My nutritionist is really encouraging my family and I to eat more organic food. He does not want us eating any "Sugar-free" or "Fat-free" products because he says of how they make it that way.

No cows milk, cheese or yogurt but rather soy, almond or coconut. HE wants us to concentrate on FPF (Fiber, Protein and good fats)-omega, avocado, etc. He says wheat and other grains are bad for you unless organic as in Biblical times. (Book-Grain Brain/Wheat Belly). Even with fruits, vegetables, meats he wants organic because of pesticides, chemicals and so forth that cannot be scrubbed off no mate how hard we try.

So I'm trying to go more organic and it is somewhat more expensive, especially for a family of five but Trader Joe's prices are not as bad, Whole Foods have good stuff but are pretty expensive but the good thing is that now Walmart is putting out more organic items such as eggs, yogurt, milk and a few other things so that will eventually be a game changer.

Just wondering what everyone thinks about eating organic? What brought this on is my 8 year old son who is overweight-being in the 99 percentile for his weight and height-4'9', 130 lbs! We brought him to the nutritionist who said that although my son is extremely active, genetics and also, of course eating too much of the wrong foods-sugars, carbs, junk- have contributed to his obesity so he asked that I try organic foods, and more plant-based foods consisting of more fiber, protein and good fats.

I'm willing to try a new way of eating whether semi-vegetarian, (gotta have some meat or at least fish) gluten-free, no wheat, grains, what ever if it helps contribute better health to my family. The problem is that there are so many books out there on what to eat, what not to eat. I trust this forum because most of you have been there or are doing it now so its proven.  Any suggestions? Any of you with families, kids, spouses, partners adopted a more organic way of eating? Any ideas on better healthier eating in harmony with our WLS diet? Thanks! 

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Jennifer K.
on 5/21/15 10:12 am - Phoenix , AZ

My suggestion is to look into "clean eating"... with a clean eating diet you do not purchase pre-packaged, prepared foods thus cutting out "junk"... once you get started and get your panty loaded up with the basics its not hard to continue on a clean eating diet. I make my own sauces, seasonings etc (i.e. taco seasoning, sloppy joe mix etc), bake my own bread, muffins, cookies etc... keep in mind you can still make "healthy" junk food so you still need to eat balanced etc. Its also a good way to start "sneaking" vegetables into foods without you really tasting them etc.

I also eat organic, you can look up lists for the top foods you should purchase organic and other foods where it doesn't matter as much, I don't buy everything organic due to cost.... I buy organic more for the impact on the planet than my own health... I don't agree with factory farming, GMOs or all the chemicals they put in/on our food these days. I try and purchase as much as I can locally, thankfully here in NC it is easy. I have a few co-workers that raise various animals and I can get eggs and meats from them, as well as a good variety of organic farmers in our area who sell direct or at the local farmers market. I also have a patio garden and grow plants using pallets (which I get from work for free) and various pots.... I buy local organic plants and organic dirt and that saves me a TON of money instead of buying at the store... I mainly grow things that I will know freeze well, or things I can trade with others who also organic garden for some of their produce.

Because I stay away from GMOs, I also stay away from the majority of Soy products. A lot of stuff, like almond milk, you can make on your own... just depends on the time/effort you want to spend.

Good luck to you!

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/21/15 3:59 am, edited 5/21/15 3:59 am

About organic foods. I am 100% behind that as long as i can afford that. Organic food is more expensive and not as easily available. 

I try to avoid some foods that are known to absorb or keep the chemicals. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathy S.
on 5/21/15 10:35 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Willie,

I too have been moving towards more organic foods.  Here is a link to a great article letting you know about the foods that have the highest exposure to pesticides.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ALB00035/The-Dirty-Dozen-Foods-Y ou-Should-Always-Buy-Organic.html

The price can be more, but when I started adding up the money I saved from not buying chips, candy and junk food it can balance out.  Our local WalMart has been carrying more organic products and I am thrilled with the pricing.

Another thing we do is we get month a box of fresh, organic foods from local farmers called FreshFarms To You for only $30.00.  You can have the kids help pick the choices and then it's delivered to your door. The kids will find this really fun!  See if you have something local.  

Have fun!

Here is a couple of photos of the goodies you can get.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

newmein2015
on 5/22/15 6:15 pm
RNY on 04/06/15

Thanks for sharing the link. I'm so sad they don't deliver to m6 zip code.looks like such a great service! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/21/15 10:48 am

From someone who at one time went the vegeteriak route ~ please check,before you do. 

IMO~ soy is hortible. I almost destroyed my thyroids. It has estrogen ~ like properties. 

Vegeterian. Diet may work for some people, but for me ~ i am very carb sensitive, it was a horrible idea. 

Check this post.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/5359882/Justification-for-low-no-carb-Curing-T2-Diabetes-starts/

Atl_Gadget_Grrl but u
can call me Charlotte

on 5/17/15 5:42 pm VSG on 06/12/13 with Paul E. Macik

It's a little long, but this is interesting. Dr. Sarah Hallberg's TEDx talk has her citing numerous studies of the benefit of low/no carb but also an explanation of why/how insulin makes the obesity problem worse.

Thoughts?

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

crystal M.
on 5/21/15 3:50 am, edited 5/21/15 3:56 am - Joliet, IL

I also had a nutritionist that suggested organic.  And also did not want me eating low fat/ no fat because of the added chemicals.  She would rather me eat the full fat version and just eat less. 

Well my surgery was more than 6 years ago and I converted over to the organic lifestyle.  I can fully endorse organic foods.  I think they taste better and last longer and are better for you.  Now I don't go crazy with it.  I mean if you want to you can buy everything organic on your grocery list.  I limit it to produce, dairy and meat.  I never buy white bread or pasta anymore.  I buy whole grain.  I do look for non- GMO products. 

I home cook my meals.  I stopped buying frozen meals and convenience meals (like mac & cheese).  It takes a little more time to cook from scratch but not that much more.  And I can control what goes into the meal and how healthy it is.   

Over the years I have found places that I can depend on for cheaper organic food.  Walmart as you mentioned.  Walmart has a full range of chicken and pork that is hormone free, antibiotic free and at a pretty good price.  I don't know if there is an Aldi where you live but they have grass fed, hormone free, antibiotic free beef at pretty good price.  And I go to a different place for my produce.  It means going to different places for gorceries but they are all close to me.  I am sure you will find places that are cheap by you over time. 

There will always be people that will think you are crazy.  And think eating organic is a waste of time.  But I believe that all of these GMOs, pesticides, hormones, unpronounceable chemicals in your food do you harm.  More than just contribute to obesity.  That is my opinion and I have been living clean for 6 years now and I have lost 185+ lbs, I have gotten sick once in 6 years, and feel great.  Maybe that would have happened regardless of organic food...but I will never know.   

Tracy D.
on 5/21/15 10:52 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Willie - I agree that it can be VERY expensive to go organic with a family of 5.  I would do research through Google on what veggies and fruits are worth doing organic and those that aren't.  

Then look at the foods that your family eats every day.  My husband and I eat a lot of eggs (every day for breakfast) so we figured that it was worth it to go organic on those.  He eats a lot of peanut butter so get an organic version of that.  

Instead of flour-based bread we buy Ezekial bread (flourless & organic); it's over in the health food section in the freezer.  One piece of that every other day is about all we want.  

Start small - maybe focus on breakfast type foods first.  Get the cereals and sugary breakfast stuff out of the house and switch to high-protein breakfasts with low-carb fruits or 1 slice of Ezekial toast.  Once you feel like you got that down solid then look at lunches.  

Good luck! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/22/15 2:44 am

Tracy, not sure if you use Costco, but in my area they start carrying a lot of organic foods, including eggs, ground beef, PB, and frozen fruits and veggies. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/21/15 11:03 am

About organic foods. I am 100% behind that as long as i can afford that. Organic food is more expensive and not as easily available. 

I try to avoid some foods that are known to absorb or keep the chemicals. 

I avoid grains and most starchy foods. Love nuts, and non starchy veggies. Works for me and my partner. He lost 20 lbs without even trying. And he was not a big guy to star with. 

Most Active