Just putting it out there...

megan.sherman
on 5/28/15 6:08 am
VSG on 05/17/14

Hi, I had VSG in March of 2014.  In March of this year, I developed a perirectal abscess that was the size of a baseball.  I am still dealing with the abscess healing and daily packing of the wound.  My surgeon thinks I have a fistula between the abscess and the rectum. 

I know it doesn't have anything to do with my weight loss surgery but I am wondering if anyone has dealt with something similar and what your outcome was.

iloveravens
on 5/28/15 6:26 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Yikes, I'm sorry, that sounds scary.  I don't have any experience but wanted to offer a "Hang in there."  xoxo

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

jgreenlee12
on 5/28/15 6:33 am
VSG on 12/08/14

Actually going through that as I type. Only mine is a rectovaginal fistula. I had a fistula plug put in two weeks ago. I go back today for my 2 week check up. I did have high hopes that it was gonna fix the problem but have had a couple issues there i think its not gonna work. I think only time will tell. It takes a long time for the plug to heal if they are going to. I will say this: go to a colo- rectal surgeon. I am going to a general surgeon, and while i know he has dealt with these before i feel like a colorectal surgeon would be way more experienced. If this doesnt work for me i will be changing drs. Theres not much info online about fissures. Ive spent the last 2 weeks laying around looking online, and my dr didnt tell ne squat about anything except "if this doesnt work, all we can do is another surgery and you will incontinent after that". Not very incouraging. Ive just done alot of praying and have faith that God will get me through this either way. Message me if you want any "detailed info". 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/28/15 9:45 am

It depends what was the cause.... 

You may need to check your vitamin, and  mineral levels. .  

Some deficiencies, like low proteins, low cholesterol, low vitamins, minerals may cause slow healing, or lack of healing... Lack of healing ~ tissues do not get repaired and more damage is done. 

I know that if i don't get good protein levels, my body does not heal well. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active