Undecided on which surgery to get........

smrodriguez28
on 6/10/15 4:28 pm

Hi everyone I had previously decided to get the VSG but not im undecided.......I would appreciate any input....Currently at 250lbs 5'2 inches....Thanks! 

Kathy S.
on 6/10/15 6:03 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on taking control of your life and your weight loss journey.   ​ We suggest you research all your options for WLS and OH is the right place for that.  Once you have reviewed your options surgery wise and decided on one then your next step is to find a surgeon.  We can help you with that.     ​​

Here are some links that will be helpful in your research.

POPULAR TOPICS

​If you have not done so, contact your insurance company and verify if they cover WLS and if so what procedures.​  If you have Medicaid and or Medicare, contact them to verify if they cover WLS, if so, what procedures and if there are any pre-surgery qualifications you have to meet.  Ask for a list of surgeons in your area that take your insurance then we can assist you with contacting those surgeons on your behalf to get you started on your journey!  

Let us know if you need anything else.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Luvmygs
on 6/11/15 12:50 am, edited 6/11/15 12:50 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I agree with Kathy, do some research on both surgeries. I originally wanted the RNY until my surgeon suggested I have the VSG. I was also a light weight, 5'2" and weighed 250, 225 day of surgery. I'm now 6 months post op and LOVING, did I say LOVING, yes loving my new stomach.

MsBatt
on 6/11/15 10:36 am

I suggest you make a list of the pros and cons of ALL THREE surgeries (VSG, RNY, and DS), then compare those to a list of what YOU want/need surgery to do for you and what you're willing/able to change after you have surgery.

I chose the DS because I wanted a fully-functional stomach (the Sleeve/VSG is the stomach portion of the DS), and I knew I NEEDED life-long malabsorption of calories (malabsorption of calories with the RNY generally only lasts 18-24 months.)  I wanted my best chance of developing the diabetes that runs in both sides of my family, and the best treatment for my already-high cholesterol. I needed to be able ti still take NSAIDs for my extensive arthritis.

I did NOT want the threat of dumping, I did NOT want to have to wait 30 minutes after a meal to drink, I did NOT want the higher risk of developing reactive hypoglycemia the RNY has, and I did NOT want to have to count calories for the rest of my life. 

When I compared my wants/not wants to each of the surgery types, the DS was the only one that gave me the things I wanted and didn't threaten me with things I didn't. From that point, it was a no-brainer.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/11/15 1:06 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Each surgery has its pros and cons.  As MsBatt suggested, write those out for each surgery and determine what will work best for you personally.

I choose the VSG because I didn't like the idea of having my intestines rerouting.  I didn't like the idea of dumping.  I needed restriction and a cessation of hunger pangs.  The VSG removes the portion of your stomach that generates the hormone ghrelin.  I do not feel hunger post surgery like I did before.  

According to my surgeon, you will lose more weight initially with the RNY, but the weight loss for both the RNY and VSG are comparable after two years.  I cannot speak for the DS as that was not an option I considered, but many people seem to like it.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.  It's not the surgery in and of itself that makes you successful at weight loss - it's the commitment to long term changes in your eating and activity levels.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

smrodriguez28
on 6/17/15 11:46 am

Thanks everyone!!! I appreciate the help! 

Most Active